question

mito avatar image
mito asked

Pylontech CCL and DCL well below specified maximum Charge Current

I have several Pylontech UP5000 installations, from 5KVAh to 40 KVAh. What I see is that I can never achieve maximum charge/discharge current specified, because CCL and DCL limits them. This happens not only at a certain temperature or when batteries are achieving maximum or minimum SOC%. That could be understandable. But an UP5000 has a 50 Amps standard charging specs and also a 0,7C for 5 minutes, 0,89 C for 60 seconds and a 2C for 15 seconds. Also there is info of lifecycle impact when you charge or discharge batteries to more than 0,5C. Bute I cannot achieve anything more than 0,5C CCL or DSL. I don´t believe BMS is allowing that. At least I coudn´t achieve those specs. Do you know if those limits can be changed? Even at owner decision to reduce SOH of batteries.

Also noticed in in article: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom#the_maximum_charge_and_discharge_current_is_limited_to_25a_but_the_data_sheet_tells_me_the_maximum_is_100a
In Hardware protection points states, within 5.3 chapter:
"Over-charge and Over-discharge Current Limit 102A for 15 seconds, 200A for 0.1 seconds and 400A short circuit current." So seems that these limits are able to be achieved. But are they working while CCL and DCL limits far below them.?

Multiplus-IIPylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

It’s coded into the BMS. Apart from voiding your warranty, this really is something you should be talking to pylon support about.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@mito

As @nickdb mentioned, unplug the cable from the Pylons to the GX. Then you can run it how you want to. However, warranty will be void. And Pylontec cells make nice ballons BTW.

2 |3000

mito avatar image
mito answered ·

Agree with nickdb that the question should be addressed to Pylon. In fact it was requested to Pylon with no answer yet. Nontheless customer claimsor suggestions, drive to new firmware versions, that in the case of Pylon BMS I don´t know if there is some.
Don´t agree with nickdb and Alexandra that warranty should be void, because warranty can be void only in case of misusage, what is absolutely not the case because I am trying to get most of published Pylon specs, BNW crossing the specs line. If a vendor shows a spec that you can benefit from and then you cannot use it, it is not something remarkable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
You must have an awesome dealer that does not ask questions for warranty returns.
0 Likes 0 ·