question

georgelza avatar image
georgelza asked

VRM ? on Raspberry Pi 3B

Hi all

I recently purchased a Victron 500W 12V inverter/charge controller and a BMC from a friend/Victron installer (for my mom, I have a larger setup my side), he included a RPi3B with (as per him) this software. (when I asked him where he got it he indicated he deployed the image .... and pointed be to https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-image )

When I started everything I had the RPi hard wired into the router/switch and was able to access the information on VMR as he pre registered it for me. But as this entire setup is going to life on a trolley, I need Wifi working.

Reading the repo it seems I need to enable Wifi via conmanctl but executing that fails with command not found.

Izak (from Victron) mentioned that this is NOT build on Raspbian, so got me wondering as when I run uname -a I get Raspbian 4.19.81-u7 back.

please help.

How would this have been build considering what I'm reading is not matching to docs...

PS:

I also tried raspi-config, command not found (to see if I can enable the WiFi that way),

tried apk-get to install it, command not found.

G

VRMRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

If VenusOS is installed, it is not running Raspbian, so commands that work in Raspbian OS will not necessarily work in VenusOS.
WiFi should work as standard with VenusOS on a RaspberryPi and should appear in the settings menu. Here is a screenshot from my Pi3 settings menu:
1659864367697.png

1659864367697.png (20.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georgelza avatar image
georgelza answered ·

ye this entire thing is contradictions... so it says Rasbian but rasp-config is not available so whoever build the mage removed that and apk-get. and well conmanctl is not avail either.

In the end I just hard wired it.. does not make difference as network goes down anyhow when grid is lost as the ONT is in another part of the house which is not on the UPS.

G

2 |3000