question

jim-henault avatar image
jim-henault asked

Signal K - Error: remote installation does not seem to have a running Signal K service.

I had SignalK up and running great on a Cerbo GX for weeks but yesterday when I tried to start SignalK I received the following message - Error: remote installation does not seem to have a running Signal K service... Tried a Cerbo reboot and uninstalling/reinstalling Venus OS Large but the issue remains... Appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve the issue...Thanks!

Venus GX - VGXSignalK
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Jim Henault

Have you checked Settings > Venus OS Large features to see if Signal K is enabled?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jim-henault avatar image jim-henault commented ·
Thanks! I have... Even disabled it and then re-enabled it a couple of times.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ jim-henault commented ·

Do you have ssh access to the GX device?

If yes, then do a svstat /service/* and check if signalk-server is running.

Example output:

/service/signalk-server: up (pid 1613) 2718223 seconds, normally down

If no, then do a

svc -u /service/signalk-server

to start the Signal K server and see if it solves the problem.

1 Like 1 ·
jim-henault avatar image
jim-henault answered ·

Thanks for the recommendation! Verified via ssh that the signal-k server is running but I'm still getting the Error: remote installation does not seem to have a running Signal K service... Time to reload the firmware via usb?

2 |3000

alnavasa avatar image
alnavasa answered ·

I am having the same issue, I even tried to install normal image and the the large image (all remotely) and I am with issues, I am now locally and can't access signal k either

2 |3000

Joel Nordahl avatar image
Joel Nordahl answered ·

Where there any solutions to this problem. I'm having the same now on a fresh install. Was working and used it for a bit then after a reboot it won't start.

Log file has an error in it.

*** starting signalk-server ***

*** Starting signalk ***

internal/validators.js:124

throw new ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE(name, 'string', value);

TypeError [ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The "path" argument must be of type string. Received undefined

at validateString (internal/validators.js:124:11)

at Object.join (path.js:1148:7)

at xdg (/usr/lib/node_modules/signalk-server/node_modules/application-config-path/index.js:13:15)

at applicationConfigPath (/usr/lib/node_modules/signalk-server/node_modules/application-config-path/index.js:33:26)

at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/node_modules/signalk-server/node_modules/devcert/dist/constants.js:17:21)

at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1072:14)

at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1101:10)

at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:937:32)

at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:778:12)

at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:961:19) {

code: 'ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE'

*** starting signalk-server ***

*** Starting signalk ***

Is there a solution to this? I looks like signalK is trying to start over and over.

Could it be a node.js problem?

Best regards,

Joel

2 |3000

alnavasa avatar image
alnavasa answered ·
2 |3000

dahlei avatar image
dahlei answered ·

I ran out of space in my /data folder, and now i have this issue.

Deleted some files, but server will not run.

1697573429976.png

I have tried updating large and normal image, enabling/disabeling signalk and node red. Nothing helps. I now have 200 MB of free space in my /data folder.

1697573429976.png (26.6 KiB)
2 |3000

dahlei avatar image
dahlei answered ·

Deleted all the .log files in signalk. Now everything is working again:

1697575415242.png

1697575415242.png (30.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page