question

khaled avatar image
khaled asked

Battery cell voltages

99b9d616-e419-47b0-a936-b7055bf4bace.pngHello,

I have a multiplus II 5000/48 , fronius primo 4 , BYD LVS premium 4Kwhr battery and 6 Q-cells panels (580kw/panel).

Is the difference in maximum and minimum cell voltage (during day only) healthy?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Is this a new(ish) install?

Are the batteries getting a full charge regularly?

You would expect imbalances under charge on newer batteries, or where they aren't getting to properly charge regularly enough, though 4kWh isn't a lot of battery for a 5k inverter.

It should sort itself out with time if allowed to charge/remain charged often enough.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

khaled avatar image
khaled answered ·

I installed this system from 8 months, the battery is getting regularly fully charged

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

It should have sorted itself by now then. 4kWh isn’t a lot, so not knowing how it is being used, history etc it’s difficult to say. Is it the same cells reporting the difference or does it vary?

Could be how it is being used, could be a cell.

All things being equal, and used within spec, you shouldn’t have large imbalances after 8 months.

Edit:

Looking at your previous posts about ripple, comments on undersized battery and high-voltage warnings, your issues are probably more related to stressing the battery and the BMS. Can't expect optimal performance in those conditions.

0 Likes 0 ·
khaled avatar image khaled nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Do you think these problems maybe harmful to my system?
0 Likes 0 ·
baxter avatar image
baxter answered ·

not healthy at all. expect regular HVD by the BMS?

3 comments
2 |3000

khaled avatar image khaled commented ·

What do you think is the suitable solution for these problems?

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ khaled commented ·

Increase battery capacity/performance.

If any cells are damaged, your supplier will need to test.

0 Likes 0 ·
baxter avatar image baxter khaled commented ·
warranty claim. Maybe one cell is damaged or bad connection.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Khaled

BYD on grid should charge to 55.2v every day. The graph is not so clear, if you zoom in you will be able to check.

With the BMU you can check each cell individually with the BE Connect App over its own WiFi.

Each cell should reach 3.45v each absorption.

Floating at 3.43v

Low cut off should be around 2.95v each cell.

If the battery is having issues, events will be logged in on the BMU. You can see them there

2 comments
2 |3000

khaled avatar image khaled commented ·
Thank you Alexandra,

If I keep my system on one 4Kwhr battery only, may that be harmful to my system, or I must add another BYD battery?

Thanks again

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ khaled commented ·

I am always in favor of adding more battery, especially if you are heavy cycling the battery down to low SOC.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources