question

flight avatar image
flight asked

GX Touch or Bmv 712

Completely replacing the charging system on our boat. 4 battery banks with 3 chargers. Will use Two Skylla IP65’s and 1 MultiPlus-II.

My question is as follows. I will use the GX Touch 70 display, will I still need to use the Bmv-712’s for each bank as well or will I just need the GX Touch for everything. Don’t want to double up on the monitors or cost if I don’t need to.

monitoring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You will need Cerbo or other device to host Venus OS. The GX Touch is only a display.

The GX device will display ONE battery monitor in it's overview pages. It is intended to be THE battery bank that feeds the Multi and other parts of the system. Skyllas would contribute to the system as well. Multiple battery banks are not well supported in Venus OS but you can see additional battery monitors in the device list and get to it's parameters that way.

The SmartShunt is a lower cost alternative to the BMV 712 if you don't need the dedicated display.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

flight avatar image flight commented ·
My plan is to use Cerbo GX, GX Touch 70, 1 SmartShunt per battery bank, 2 Skylla Control and a Digital Multi Control.

From what I understand then is that the Bmv 712’s are unnecessary and just redundant. The Touch will display information just not as detailed per bank.

So maybe do it all for fastest and easiest information dissemination without having to search for the information I want in a hurry.

0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

The BMV is a shunt with display and a programmable relay to measure current, voltage, temp, time and calculate Ah, W, Wh plus keep a history and raise alarms, the 712 has BT built-in, the others don't.

The SmartShunt has BT, but has not a display nor a programmable relay, besides this, same functionality, they are interchangeable.

The GX Touch is a dumb 7" HDMI screen with no functionality.

You need a Cerbo or Octo to do something with it.

Cerbo/Octo/ headless Venus, CCGX and all the other Venus devices are just computers, without sensors they do nothing, they collect the data via wired connectiond and display it on the screen or in the browser, they also snitch and send the data to vrm and act as backdoor for remote access to the system. they cannot measure a current or voltage without external sensors like the BMV or smart shunt or networked BMS etc. You need both, the cerbo and the shunts.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic