question

Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley asked

BMV Required in Marine Installation

With reference to the Victron 'NMEA 2000 & MFD integration guide' - Page 2 'Limitations' (extract below) last line indicates that a BMV always needed in a Marine installation.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)

Guy or anyone else. Can you advise why this is required. I have a Lynx Shunt 1000 with VE.Bus BMS and VenusGX etc.

Thanks.

BMV Battery MonitorBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Michael Riley, not to worry, you’re fine with that Lynx. No need for a BMV.

I’ll rethink that text, and probably remove that bulletpoint; its trying to explain something too complicated and not relevant.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jon S avatar image Jon S commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff) The CCGX documentation says that a BMV is needed for marine use on page 18.

=================

(D) Other system types

When there are more chargers, or loads, connected to the battery than just the Multi or MPPT Solar Chargers, a dedicated Battery Monitor will be required. Examples are:

House loads in Marine or Vehicle system.

PWM Solar Chargers

AC chargers, such as Skylla-is, Phoenix chargers, non Victron chargers, etc. Alternators

DC-DC chargers

Wind turbines

Hydro turbines

=============

I figured the Lynx ion shunt would track all in and out of the batteries. Can you confirm that a BMV is not needed if a lynx ion 1000 shunt is between the batteries and all loads?

Jon

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Jon S commented ·

Indeed. The lynx Ion is also a battery monitor

0 Likes 0 ·
Jon S avatar image Jon S mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks For the confirmation.

I have 1 outstanding issue. Do you know if an MPPT 150/85 TR can get battery voltage from a CCGX or do I need to add a battery sense?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Jon S commented ·

Ccgx itself doesnt measure the battery voltage. But, if you have a battery monitor connected (lynx ion) then yes, it can get the data from there and give it to the mppt as voltage sense

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

See DVCC chapter in ccgx manual for details

0 Likes 0 ·
Jon S avatar image Jon S mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hmm... I have both a Lynx Ion 1000 and Victron LFP batteries connected to the CCGX. The MPPTs are not getting the voltage from there. They are connected but appear to be using the voltage they detect on the battery connection as they regularly see 14.2 when the batteries are at something well below 100%. Most recently the CCGX was showing 70% state of charge and 13.? ( I don't recall the exact but it was .2 or .6) and the MPPTs were detecting 14.2 and went into absorption. At that time the only charge source was the 2 MPPTs. How can I ensure they get battery state from the data in the CCGX?

Thanks,. Jon

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Jon S commented ·

Hi @Jon S

(sorry I had to change your username otherwise I couldn't @mention you)

As you have a big expensive system, I strongly urge you to have an experienced Victron installer checkout the system and make sure everything is working together as it should be.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jon S avatar image Jon S Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

I did pay a professional certified victron installer to do the original install at enormous expense, but here I am on this forum looking for help. For the past year I have been searching the Caribbean for anyone who can help me understand the config. I was close in Grenada, but the expert there was booked up for months.

These experts you speak of are as elusive as the Chupacabra. I have a background in computers on both the network design, install and config as well as , servers covering very complex designs using Windows, Linux, Unix, and Android. Admin on all those systems. etc... blah blah blah. :-) I get by technically. Since I cant find a true expert I have been reading all the manuals in hopes that some day I can fix my system and possible be able to help others.

I am currently in St. Martin, so please point me to the experts but if you mention 2 particular companies I will have to call bullshit, both have been on my boat at more expense and here I am on this forum still asking for help.

I think I might have found something that will help get the MPPTs to use the data in the CCGX. Can you confirm what setting in the CCGX or MPPT I should be checking to make sure it is using it?

Thanks,

Jon

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Jon S commented ·

Hi @Jon S

Ok I understand.

To make things more clear to understand, could you make a new topic about exactly what you have (diagram) and what does not and what does work as expected?

(did you try DVCC?)

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

Acknowledged. Thanks.

2 |3000