question

Wulfsyarn avatar image
Wulfsyarn asked

Victron BMV-712 Shunt and LiFePO4 BMS wiring.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Victron BMV-712 Smart Monitor. And I cannot find any information on wiring of the shunt when a LiFePO4 8s Seprate Port BMS has been wired in.

Current batteries include 8pcs 3.2v LiFePO4 cells creating a 24v battery. Wired onto this is a 8s Seprate Port BMS.

My question is can the shunt safely be wired into the negative of the battery then to the B- of the BMS. See below. (Ignore C- and P-)

Or will the Victron BMV-712 shunt interfere with the BMS?

If it was a common port BMS it would be easy but I dont want the BMS to disconnect the victron solar controller. Or am i better just using a common port BMS with the BMV-712? To avoid this issue?

BMV Battery MonitorBMS
20190703-153346.jpg (135.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tex260z avatar image tex260z commented ·

Hi Guys,

I have exactly the same setup, I notice the BMV-712 is marked for load negative and charger negative, I presume the charger negative is not connected to that terminal in the case of a 3 port BMS, my question is will not running the charger through the shunt have any effect on the readings?

I am replacing the home made bus bars on the LiFePO4 case with the shunt, (see pic). I will keep the small bus bar for the charger connection (yellow wire, and replace the larger one (load - )with the BMV-712 bus bar. I needed a bus bar for the load - because those BMS leads are about 1/3rd the size of my inverter terminal.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That is a good place to wire the shunt, it will not interfere with anything.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Wulfsyarn avatar image Wulfsyarn commented ·

Thank you. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
tex260z avatar image
tex260z answered ·

Ah, I see I was mistaken, as per Wulfsyarn's question the shunt should be before the BMS not after?

2 |3000