question

hugues avatar image
hugues asked

Do I need to change battery type and if so, how ?

I just bought a MultiPlus 2400W and charger 120A, 12/3000/120-16 × 1

I read the installation manual, looks like the default battery type is AGM.

I'm running on 2x400Ah lithium batteries.

Do I need to change the battery type on the Multiplus, and if so, how ? Does not seem to be available on DIP switches, I don't have any dongle to connect yet.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Wait until you get your dongle and then use VictronConnect or VE.Configure to set up the correct charging parameters for your particular battery.
I would not be charging a Lithium battery type with AGM settings, the Voltages would most likely be too high for Lithium.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

bdd59211-345a-461a-accb-7435d7fc5797.jpegd2561cb7-c881-4c14-9e13-6eb1d8aa3384.pngYou can monitor the Multiplus and do some basic battery configuration using the VE.Bus Smart dongle (https://www.victronenergy.com.au/accessories/ve-bus-smart-dongle) and VictronConnect app.

The settings for charging in VictronConnect do not have any preset profiles like they do when you use the usb dongle (or Cerbo GX) and VEConfigure (see example screenshots) so you will need to work out what values work best for your brand of batteries.

2 comments
2 |3000

hugues avatar image hugues commented ·

@Sarah I received my VE.Bus Smart Dongle, connected, upgraded to latest firmware v1.12, i can switch on and off the inverter, great.

But I do not see the function to change the battery configuration as you stated above, even a basic one to say it's lithium. Is the function hidden somewhere ?

I could only change the shore power amps maximum.

As per above post:

"You can monitor the Multiplus and do some basic battery configuration using the VE.Bus Smart dongle (https://www.victronenergy.com.au/accessories/ve-bus-smart-dongle) and VictronConnect app."

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image Sarah hugues commented ·

My apologies - I have just rechecked the VictronConnect VE.Bus documentation and the Smart Dongle is limited in its functionality as you have described. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Bus_Configuration_Guide/en/limitations.html You will still need a usb connected dongle with either VictronConnect or VEConfigure.

Annoyed as the screenshot that I gave you comes from the demo library on an iPhone which can only connect via the smart dongle as it has no USB ports.

0 Likes 0 ·
hugues avatar image
hugues answered ·

ok, which dongle do I need to buy ?

4 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Hugues

The mk3 to usb adaptor

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/interface-mk3-usb

Set up video walkthrough can be found here.

1 Like 1 ·
hugues avatar image hugues Alexandra ♦ commented ·
i see this one is though USB,

I already have the Victron connect app on my Tablet, which i use to monitor my other Victron components,

is there a way to set the battery type on the Victron connect app, and if so, which dongle I need ?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ hugues commented ·
Victron connect has a demo library available in the burger menu. Select you multi there and you'll see all the available settings, no hardware needed and does not affect the system. Lithium is available under charger settings.

If you have a USB phone, the MK3 USB dongle with a suitable adapter is the only way. Otherwise it's pc to USB as mentioned earlier.
0 Likes 0 ·
hugues avatar image hugues kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
thanks.

I have opened the Demo Library and selected my Multiplus model, and indeed i see all the options that can be set, including battery type,...

But I don't understand then, when I connect for real to my Multiplus with the Victron connect app and the bluetooth VE.bus dongle, either from my tablet or my phone, most of these menus/options are not showing up, i can only change the maximum shore current.

So do I conclude that battery type cannot be changed through Bluetooth dongle ? Sarah seems to say it's possible above, that's why I bought the bluetooth dongle.

0 Likes 0 ·