question

me1 avatar image
me1 asked

ve.direct cable through bulkhead suggestion

Hi, I need to pass a VE.Direct cable from the battery box through a waterproof gland to the Cerbo GX. I want to make as small of a hole as possible but the ve.direct cables have a wide adapter on both ends. It has been suggested by victron not to make our own cables, but the cable is rather small compared to the ends and the ends require a much bigger hole than just the cable diameter. What is the right thing to do? Do the premade cables have any shielding? Does it make sense to cut one in half and crimp it after making a smaller hold just for the cable? Thanks

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

For myself I see no issue in cutting the cable and rejoining it. you really dont have any option. The cables are not shielded, as far as I know

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Leonard C Taft avatar image
Leonard C Taft answered ·

This seems the appropriate thread to pose this follow-up question, rather than a direct answer: Does anyone know (for certain) what is the conductor size used in the VE.Direct cables? Specifically, the number of individual copper strands and the mm or AWG size of those individual wires, collectively twisted together forming a copper "X"-strand conductor with a combined AWG of what size? My questioning is prompted by "me1's" original question, and that I too must run several VE.Direct cables through a very hostile environment (crowded engine room with 3 diesel engines, 2 of those are generators, and most of shipboard 240/120VAC wiring). Ambient temp is 127*F when just one engine running, and plenty of EMI. I am wondering if NMEA 2000 cable may prove more robust, with possibly larger AWG and 3 levels of foil shielding. BUT, if Victron wire size is larger, then I am mistaken, and will just look to somehow shield the VE.Direct cables in the engine room. Any insight is really appreciated. Thank you.

2 |3000

Related Resources