question

shawn-willden avatar image
shawn-willden asked

GX Touch 50 resolution wrong

Hi all,

I have a GX Touch 50 connected to a Cerbo GX, and the screen resolution seems to be wrong, causing the display not to show the whole view.

pxl-20220726-160647963.jpg

I have rebooted the Cerbo GX multiple times, both via the menu and by removing and reapplying power. Because the power for the display is not coming from the Cerbo GX, I've also tried powering the Cerbo up first, then the display; the display first, then the Cerbo; and both at the same time.

The scaling is even off during the boot sequence:

pxl-20220726-161127562.jpg

My Cerbo GX is running firmware v2.89.

Any suggestions? I found a couple of previous posts that were apparently resolved by rebooting, but that hasn't worked for me.

cerbo gxtouchscreen
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnswimer avatar image johnswimer commented ·
I have the same issue. It happened when I disconnected power from my Cerbo and reconnected it. First time I've had this sort of issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all,

We discussed this internally, and anyone with such issue, please replace the GX Touch. Preferably ask your dealer/distributor to report to our repairs department that I've asked for the GX Touch to be sent for analysis due to resolution issue.

Also, please indicate if its intermittent (ie resolution sometimes right, sometimes wrong); or permanently broken.

Since there is some technical discussion going on, here some information:

The issue is that the Cerbo is failing to read the EDID eeprom (which is in the GX Touch) somehow. There is no configuration anywhere that can change the screen resolution. The kernel reads the EDID and uses that. If the EDID can't be read (or is invalid) it falls back on some default which is what we see here.

All the best, Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Ps; another small thing to try is to clean the hdmi connectors.
0 Likes 0 ·
shawn-willden avatar image
shawn-willden answered ·

I have also tried factory resetting (using a USB drive with the venus tarball). No change.

I've enabled SSH and am poking around to see if there's some configuration I can adjust.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Shawn Willden

I think in this case it is a return issue. That is very abnormal. Did you try plug in a different display and see what happened?

0 Likes 0 ·
l81ker avatar image
l81ker answered ·
2 |3000

Gian avatar image
Gian answered ·

Hello shawn-willden

Connect to your Cerbo via SSH.
Run the following commands...

1. opkg update
    2. opkg install tslib-calibrate

Enable headless mode...

1. touch /etc/venus/headless

Reboot your Cerbo.
Set screen resolution and run calibration utility...

1. fbset -xres 1024 -yres 600
    2. ts_calibrate

Now go to the screen and do the actual calibration on the screen.
Once calibration is done disable headless mode...

1. rm /etc/venus/headless

Reboot your Cerbo again and touch should be working.

2 |3000

johnswimer avatar image
johnswimer answered ·

Unplugging HDMI and the USB, Rebooting 3 times, powering down, reconnecting the Touch 50 and booting fixed the issue for me.

2 |3000

hibbcase avatar image
hibbcase answered ·

I am having the same issues as above and need some help solving the problem. It seems like a software issue, I've found 3 or 4 different threads with scattered info and suggestions about trying different booting and re-booting sequences. A few days ago this happened and I luckily had another screen from another truck handy and after I plugged that one in it worked for a few days. After a re-boot it has happened again and now I can't get it to go back to normal. This is in a customers truck and will no longer be able to easily troubleshoot this issue after tomorrow. With as much as these systems cost and their capabilities this should not be happening. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

2 comments
2 |3000

luigi-miranda avatar image luigi-miranda commented ·
I have the exact same issue. After many reboots on the Cerbo, the Touch 50 still had the wrong resolution. Then after a couple of weeks I rebooted again, and it worked. Today I had to disconnect power to the Cerbo, and now I am back to the wrong resolution. VICTRON, where are you?
0 Likes 0 ·
mrk avatar image mrk commented ·
I am also having the same issue and can't seem to fix it. Everytime I reboot I lose my configs.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources