question

janeks avatar image
janeks asked

Is the installation information of EasySolar 24/3000 correct? Looks like an accident waiting to happen...

Dear community,
Dear Victron,

I am looking at installing an EasySolar 24/3000 in an RV. I am scratching my head about the wireing diagram in Appendix B. Is this correct? Doesn't look safe... (see red circle)

I see multiple safety issues:

1. If N and L are swapped in ACin, L is directly connected to PE
--> When connecting shore power in a non-stationary setup, it is not guaranteed what L and N is. As long as CEE is used, this is standardized. Most other power connector do not have this guaranteed

2. built-in RCD is not useful in this case.
--> reliance on a correctly installed RCD in the shore power installation

3. Even though there is a RCD in the shore power installation, there will be a small delay for the RCD to kill the lines when plugging in
--> unsafe for a couple of ms, unneccary

4. EVEN IF everything is according to the diagram, N is connected to PE!
--> not allowed in any country I know when a PEN was divided into PE and N earlier in the installation.

So: Is this diagram correct or not? Could it be that PE from shore power / ACin is connected to the ground relais instead of N? That would be the end of the story and all would be fine, I think.

1658317727780.png
Thx for the help!

Cheers,
Janek

EasySolar All-in-Onesafety
1658317727780.png (225.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@JanekS

N is only connected to PE when the ground relay is active. This only happens when the incoming is disconnected and it is an option to have it not make contact if you are in a mobile set up.

See manual under 10.3.2

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@JanekS

L/N reversal is an issue in many countries even with CEE connectors at the camp site. Ideally, get a test plug (they're not expensive) check polarity of the input and if incorrect use a reversing cable to correct. An alternative is a matched pair of CEE to Schuko cables. Mark the Schuko connectors for correct or reversed polarity.

1 Like 1 ·
janeks avatar image janeks kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
If I understand the ground relay correctly now, then there is no need at all for checking the connectivity.

I might install an PRCD-S in my shore power cable for added safety. But reversal of L and N doesn't seem to be an issue with an EasySolar.

Only PE has to be correct. Always. But that is a given in any installation. With an PRCD-S I could even check that PE is present and L wasn't swapped with PE accidentally.

0 Likes 0 ·
janeks avatar image janeks commented ·
Interesting. I totally missed that part!

To get this right:

• no shore power = inverter running from battery = inverter outputs a PEN = ground relay is engaged = PEN is divided into PE and N
    • internal RCD protects correctly
  • shore power connected = ground relay is disengaged first BEFORE ACin is engaged = PE of ACin is connected to ground + PE on ACout is also connected to ground = thus PE of ACin equals PE of AC out
    • internal RCF also protects correctly
    • it doesn't matter if L and N is reversed, because the EasySolar is equiped with 2-wire circuit breakers and the RCD also doesn't care = doesn't matter which wire is which + I don't care in the power outlets either (except in some countries where there is a code which pin of the power socket has to be which)

Am I right so far?

---

What happens in PowerAssist mode though? I guess the ground relay is still disengaged?

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell janeks commented ·
In the UK on inland boats it is usual to install a neon between the incoming neutral and potential earth shorepower and call this reverse polarity. If live and neutral are reversed on the jetty or cable then you see this neon light up and know the hook up is not safe.
3 Likes 3 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ pwfarnell commented ·
I like that idea, thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ janeks commented ·

Power assist means there is an AC connection as that is what it is assisting. So the ground relay is disengaged.

It is always best to check a source before connecting if going to strange places especially.

I have seen an overload shut down on an inverter when connected to a dodgy or mixed up incoming source.

The issue with Live and Neutral being mixed up is that things in a fault conditons become live when you really don't want them to be.

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ janeks commented ·
You're beyond my level of knowledge with much of this, but my understanding is that reversing L/N isn't an issue. It will either trip or work. I've set up a reversal system so have never tried it the wrong way around.

Power assist is only with AC in. So ground relay disengaged, as @Alexandra said.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic