question

jeepcamper avatar image
jeepcamper asked

IP22 settings for constant fridge load while on long-term shore power

Hi,

I’ve recently installed two 100 aH Battleborn batteries and have a Victron IP22 for shore power. The only load while at home (and on shore power) is a refrigerator that cycles at 2.5 amps. I have enabled float at 13.5 and am hoping that the float will keep the batteries at 100% until I leave for a trip while supporting the fridge.

Will this complicate the tracking of battery-state with my BMV-712? And, will it have a negative effect on battery longevity?

I’d like to get the full ten-year life span of these batteries, but don’t want to remove the fridge each time I return home. I’ve been toying with the idea of installing a 120v spst relay that will switch the fridge over to a 15 amp 12 volt power supply while on shore power.

What does everyone think? Is it worth the trouble to install a shore power supply for the fridge? Or, am I worrying about nothing?

Knowledgable input is appreciated!

BMV Battery Monitorbluesmart ip22shorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

You will be fine leaving the charger in float mode at 13.5V but you could consider the "power supply" mode.

The battery monitor may slowly drift the SOC reading over time but a simple reset to 100% when you return will fix that.

We have a 300Ah LifePO4 battery, 800W solar, Victron 50A MPPT, 12V IP22 15/30A battery charger and 500A Victron SmartShunt battery monitor.

The IP22 charger is set in power supply mode, 15A, 13.40V running all our usual loads. Fridge, TV etc. The battery remains at a constant 99% SOC and at times works hard also starting our truck often multiple times a day when we are travelling.

3 weeks on shore power and the battery is still happy.

It has all survived 8 years of fulltime travel/use and counting.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeepcamper avatar image
jeepcamper answered ·

Thank you. I don’t yet have solar, and I don’t really trust the “non-smart” Orion TR-Smart that I installed (because I haven’t tested it much). This means that my service batteries (and all accessories) are isolated from the rig when I leave and do not get charged again until I get home. So, I need to charge with the IP22 when returning.

For now, the Orion TR is backup in case I need juice when out and about.

Do you mean to charge with the IP22 on shore power upon returning, then switching it over to “power supply mode” after getting a full charge to maintain the fridge? As long as the IP22 will retain the “charger” settings when switching between the two modes…this might be the solution I’m looking for.

I appreciate your input!

1 comment
2 |3000

Nev avatar image Nev commented ·
That is my method for longer term stays but I expect maintaiing a suitable float voltage will be fine.

My method: Fully charge then switch to power supply mode.

The normal charge settings are retained and restored when the battery charger is returned to "charger" mode.

0 Likes 0 ·
machany-justin avatar image
machany-justin answered ·

I'm grateful. I don't yet have solar, and because I haven't given my "non-smart" Orion TR-Smart any testing, I don't really trust it. This means that when I leave gmail, my service batteries (along with any accessories), are cut off from it, and they don't start charging again until I arrive home. I must therefore use the IP22 to charge when I get home.

1 comment
2 |3000

jeepcamper avatar image jeepcamper commented ·
What? Are you a bot? LOL.
0 Likes 0 ·