question

judodesign avatar image
judodesign asked

Additional mppt required?

Hello

I recently purchased the Victron BlueSolar Monocrystalline Panel - SPM043052000 and installed it on the roof of our camper. I just connected it to our Anker 757 PowerHouse but it says 0w is coming in.

I checked the polarity and it’s fine. Power is also coming down from the panel. The powerhouse is detecting the panel as the dc input icon comes on. But 0w input power is detected and the powerhouse isn’t being charged. I also tried it in the late afternoon so the current would be less, but no change.

The panel is mounted under 3 roof bars. So it should only produce 90% of its full 305w even in the most ideal sunshine. That’s why I chose it even though the powerhouse limit is 300w.

Anyone know what might be the problem? Would I need to condition the solar panel current through an additional MPPT unit before connecting it to the powerhouse to regulate the charge (even thought the powerhouse contains its own mppt)?

The panel specs are as follows:

Victron BlueSolar Monocrystalline Panel - SPM043052000

305W-20V Mono

Nominal power - 305w

Max power voltage - 32.5v

Max power current- 9.38amp

Open circuit voltage - 39.7v

Short-Circuit Current - 10.27amp

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BlueSolar-Monocrystalline-Panels-EN.pdf

Anker 757 PowerHouse - 1229Wh | 1500W

Solar Panel Input: 300W Max

Input: 11 - 30v / 10 amp

https://www.anker.com/uk/products/a1770?variant=42401764343972

MPPT ControllersSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Judodesign

Your Anker states 30V max, and you've hooked up a panel rated 39.7V. Possibly destroying the internal charger, which won't be an mppt, most likely a pwm unit. But it may have protection, and has just shut down.

And a panel mounted under roof bars won't perform well. It might get to the 120W input rating of the Anker, but don't count on it.

You could try a Victron 75/10, the smallest in the mppt range. That's equivalent to the 10A rating of the onboard unit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

judodesign avatar image
judodesign answered ·

3b9eac8c-8442-4278-a8ad-f9e315d44ff1.jpegHi @JohnC ,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think the powerhouse just shut it down. Hence the 0w reading. I just plugged the dc input port into the van cigarette lighter port and it was happily showing a 65w current coming in to charge the powerhouse. So doesn’t look like there’s damage to the unit

As mentioned, I have the panel mounted under roof bars (see attached) but will now mount it on top as there are whole cell rows covered. That might do it.

But perhaps I should put a small mppt inline to condition the current from the panel as it is over the powerhouse input ratings (not that we get great sunshine in Ireland). I’ll look into the mppt you mentioned.

Thanks

2 |3000

judodesign avatar image
judodesign answered ·

I've now moved the panel on top of the roof rack and tried again. No change. Still showing 0w charging on the powerhouse. I'm getting a reading of 37v from the panel, but my multimeter is untrustworthy!.

Anker have confirmed that the maximum voltage of the solar panel is up to 32.5V. But the powerhouse will shut off its DC charge port when the input reaches 30V.

@JohnC Do you know if the Smart Victron 75/10 will allow me to set an output voltage limit of 30v in the app? Also, would it be best to connect the powerhouse to the battery ports or the load port?

Thanks for any help. We have a trip coming up and i'll need to order the Smart Victron 75/10 pretty quick to get it here in time.

2 |3000

judodesign avatar image
judodesign answered ·

Just coming back to say that the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 resolved the issues and the PowerHouse is now charging from the solar panel. I managed to connect the PowerHouse to the battery port on the MPPT and set it to a 24v charging state with a 10amp limit. So when the panel is fully under the sun, I can get a flow of 240watts. But I have already seen it get up to 265watts, so there is some buffer around the limit.

It's not quite at the PowerHouse's input limit of 300w, but it's close. Also, by having a 405w panel I'm getting a good charge to the PowerHouse even on cloudy days.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual