question

alexanderr avatar image
alexanderr asked

multiplus 48/5000/70-100 in parallel

Hello,

First time posting and pretty new to this. I have a new off grid project including 3 multiplus inverter chargers which will be in parallel. Could anybody provide some clarity on which type of cable and cross sectional area to use for AC in and out. As all 3 multiplus's are in parallel I need 2 AC ins and 2 AC outs but only 3 glands on the units. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

5.jpg

multiplus in parallel
5.jpg (88.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

The multiplus manual. gives some detail, also look at appendix C.

The Parallel, split- and three phase VE.Bus systems document gives further details regarding parallel wiring.

Wiring Unlimited has some useful info regarding parallel wiring.

Psst, you are going to need a garage creeper to wire those multi's ;(.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexanderr avatar image alexanderr commented ·
Hi Thank you for your reply, I have looked at the above but still struggle with the cable type?

I am looking at H07 cable but external diameter is too large for the gland going into the multiplus. Our electrician wont use SY cable due to UV degradation.

We selected our electrician due to his size and flexibility ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ alexanderr commented ·

Our electrician wont use SY cable due to UV degradation.

Quite frankly I dont know what H07 cable is, or SY cable. It is a big world, with many jurisdictions.

Given the photo you shared, I would not expect any problems with UV degradation for your AC cabling.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 alexanderr commented ·
H07RN-F? It's a good cable, but bulky. Will it be placed outside? Otherwise, you don't need that type.

You did not specify the wire cross section area. That's the most important.

0 Likes 0 ·
alexanderr avatar image alexanderr seb71 commented ·

HI, Yes the bulky cable is what we are struggling with. All the units are housed inside. We need a cable with a cross section area of 10mm. As all three Victron inverter charges are to be wired in parallel we need a smaller (less bulky) cable

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Why 10mm? The AC outputs on the multi are limited to 16A each.

1 comment
2 |3000

alexanderr avatar image alexanderr commented ·
We have the 48/5000 model with 50A output each
0 Likes 0 ·