question

techmuc avatar image
techmuc asked

Different smartsolar or use the same?

Hi all,

Probably stupid question but anyhow: Currently I have a smartsolar 250/60 mc4 (2x Mc4 input). This is connected to 2x4 panels (49V Voc, 10A Iac) using both input mc4.

I want to add 4 completely different panels to my balcony now (150W, 22 VoC, 9A).

How can I achieve that best?

1. Buy a new smartsolar 100/20 and connect it to the same battery as the 250/60? (will that even work and respect the 50A load restrictions of my pylontech?)
  2. Buy a Y mc4 connector and connect my current panels parallel outside of the smartsolar, and use the second mc4 port of my existing smartsolar for the new Balcony panels? (will that affecty current panels?)

I guess the first one is correct but I am really not sure about connecting completely different smartsolars..as per https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/synchronised-charging---further-details.html I would suspect I have to do nothing, but really want to be sure here..

Thanks a lot,

Timo

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarcharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

For the different PV panels buy another MPPT charger. Make sure it's a SmartSolar MPPT, not a BlueSolar MPPT.

Battery voltage is 48V (nominal), I assume (you wrote that it's Pylontech, but not the model). The new PV panels with Voc=22V must be conected at least 3 in series for a 48V battery. You have 4, not divisible by 3, so in that case you must wire all 4 in series. That means string Voc= 88V at 25C. You have to check the string Voc for the lowest possible temperature. This still has to be under 100V, if you get a 100/xx MPPT charger. If not, then get a 150/xx charger. In fact, better get a 150/xx charger anyway. Much more flexibility if you later change your setup.

If you do not already have those 150W PV panels, look for larger ones instead.

What other devices you have (inverter, etc.)?

I would suspect I have to do nothing, but really want to be sure here..

VE.Smart Networking requires to be set up.

But a GX device would be better.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

techmuc avatar image techmuc commented ·

I already have a GX device, and yup it is a pylontech us2000c (two ones) with a multiplus 2 3000.

The balcony size is somewhat limited so I chose those which can cover the balcony best.

Than I will buy the smartsolar 150. Thanks a lot!

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 techmuc commented ·
If you have a GX device, do not use VE.Smart Networking. Obviously you have to connect the chargers (and the Pylontech battery) to the GX device.

Enable DVCC in the GX device.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 techmuc commented ·

Still, check again if you really can't fit larger panels. 600Wp is not that much. Something around 1000Wp (like three 60-cell PV panels) would make more sense for the effort/money spent.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic