question

blueoceans avatar image
blueoceans asked

LiFePo4 Batteries and outboard motor flywheel charging (twin Yamaha 150HP) ?

I have 2005 vintage twin Yamaha 150HP outboards use a flywheel to create a charging current different than an alternator. I'm using Dakota lithium batteries for both house and starter batteries. Can the current from the Yamaha engines be used directly to charge LiFePo4 (lithium) batteries or does some DC-DC current limiter or some other device need to be put between the batteries and the outboards? What happens when the batteries are fully charged? I have heard the flywheel based chargers are water cooled and I don't need to worry about them. I have no data to know if both the engines and batteries will be ok if directly connected and if they won't - what can work that won't greatly limit the 90 Amps or so charging current the engines can produce. It is counter productive to put something in there at will limit the charging current to 15 or even 30 amps unless necessary. Any recommendations or education here would be greatly appreciated.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
dc4me avatar image
dc4me answered ·

First of all I would talk to Yamaha on using LiFePo4 batteries in your set up. Most outboard companies don't warranty any newer models using Lithium. Many outboard users are but they have other safety factors to prevent alternator from burning up.Yours being an older model and using a stator is not what I would think is capable to charge Lithium batteries in a safe way. I am not an expert by no means and would think that I would at least use a DC2DC charger. A question to ask the experts is will a DC2DC charger work with a rectifier. I would think your Yamaha has a CDI rectifier but I don't know that for sure. Another great source of info is a forum called BBC (Bass Boat Central). There you might find knowledgeable people on outboard charging systems. I wish I could help more but will be watching this thread to see if you find out the info you are looking for.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources