question

stull61 avatar image
stull61 asked

Connecting multiple MPPT controllers and D400 to Li Charge unit

I have two Victron Li Charge units in my victron lifepo4 setup. One unit is connected to two Cristec chargers. The other is connected to a Victron 70/150 MPPT Controller, a Victron 50/100 MPPT controller and a D400 wind generator connected via their 6TB regulator. The D400 has developed a buzzing sound and the vendor is recommending that it is directly connected to the battery. I don't want to do this and instead want to run it through it's own dedicated Li Charge unit. Is it okay to connect up to 3 Li Charge to a single BMS? And is this what Victron recommend?

Lithium Battery
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stull61 avatar image stull61 commented ·

I shifted the output from my windgen regulator across to it's own Cyrix Li Charge unit and this Li Charge unit is switching on and off. The humming is still there because of the switching on and off I suspect.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, If the wind generator needs to be connected directly to the battery it may be not fir to be used with the lithium/cyrix combination. Solution would be to have a (small) battery directly on the wind generator and going from there to the Cyrix-li-charge/Lithium.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rno avatar image
rno answered ·

Hello, for what it worth, I have a very similar setup, 2 PV connected to a BlueSolar Charger MPPT 75/15 and right behind, 8 Liontron Lithium LiFePO4 LX Smart BMS 12,8V 200Ah mounted in parallel. I also have a Venus GX and a BMV-700. Lately I decided to use different radial and axial wind turbine. The latest is an Eclectic Energy D400 wind generator connected via their 6TB regulator. Please note 6TB can handle two sets of batteries, but in my case it's connected directly to the battery side of the batteries master switch. The MPPT 75/15 is directly connected to the batteries.

I have noticed that both MPPT will turn charge into heat when they are on the same battery bank. It's more obvious with the 6TB because of the two large dump bar. The Victron MPPT 75/15 only has the back of the case to disperse heat.

I came to the conclusion none of the two controllers (6TB or 75/15) are really smart. The moment they pick another load is coming into the battery they assume the generator is on to recharge the batteries and they will disperse their own load not to fry the batteries.

I could be wrong about it but I have not read yet any sensible piece of advice about this and I would love to stand corrected if one may cast a little light on the everlasting issue of wind energy production inputed into Victron systems.

2 |3000

Related Resources