question

darsma avatar image
darsma asked

BlueSmart Charger does not show any current in Absorption mode

Just tried to connect various batteries (from 7Ah to 60Ah) to charge with new BlueSmart 12/7 charger and the process is always the same:

1) when battery is connected, it is tested and mode is determined. I think it's OK.

2) although remaining power in batteries differs - no one (from 6) stayed in "Bulk" mode more like for a second. I think it should last longer for empty batteries.

3) when "Absorption" mode is on, current and voltage on Android App is displayed. While voltage showed some meaningful numbers, current was always showing zeroes. I think it should not be 0.00A in any condition.

4) after some time Float mode is on, then voltage and current showed meaningful numbers (i.e. 13V, 0.5A) but no zeroes. It shoul be OK.

5) if 60Ah battery is 10V before charging or 10Ah 12,5V - the charging till "Float" mode longs no longer than 2 hours. I think charging time should be longer thant 2h for empty 60Ah battery.

I'm not sure that my charger is OK. What do you think? Will appreciate any comments.

battery chargingchargerVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

If your battery is that flat then the internal resistance will be high and thus no current will flow.

just leave it like that for 24 hours and restart it as often as you can so that it switchs back to bulk

bulk ends at about 14.2 volts NO matter if the current is zero or what ever.

absorption ends after a time period at 14.2 volts no mater what the current is

then it drops to the float voltage. around 13.6

Basically you may recover the battery but it does not sound hopeful

you may need a higher voltage charger to get through the internal resistance then after it starts charging you can return to the victron unit

Good luck with the battery

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

macmillc avatar image
macmillc answered ·

This is most likely the fuse in the charger itself. take off the plastic cover where the wires connect and there is a 40amp fuse. I had the same issue and mine was just the fuse, not the batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

w5ll avatar image w5ll commented ·
Wanted to follow up and add that I had this exact same issue. The fuse in my unit was not blown however the fuse on my power lead that connects to the battery was. Replaced it and charger works great.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic