question

andyla avatar image
andyla asked

Split phase wiring diagram

Hello all, I am looking for a wiring diagram that shows how the AC output connections are wired to a breaker box for a typical North American home. The MultiPlus 3000 setup manual shows a pretty detailed diagram for a 3 phase deployment but nothing for a split phase 120-0-120 setup. I hope that makes sense.

I just want to use my Multis as a pass through when grid is up and a backup source when the grid is down.

In my head I would hire an electrician to come in and install a new breaker box with a 200 amp breaker, move L1, L2, and N to the new box. Let them figure out N/G bonding

Connect the HOT in for inverter #1 to the L1 side of the new box

Connect the HOT in for Inverter #2 to the L2 side of the new box

Connect the N for both inverters to the N bus bar in the new box

Move heavy 240 loads to the new box like the dryer, stove, and water heater (these wouldn't be available for use while grid is down). I know that I could have these wired to the AC2 output but I would rather not have those loads passing through the Multi because I think I am limited to 50A max pass through

The output

The output of Inverter #1 (L1) to L1 in the old box

The output of Inverter #2 (L2) to L2 in the old box

The N wires from both inverters going to the N bus bar in the old box

In my version of theory.... During normal operation while the grid is good the inverters would simply pass through L1, L2, N to the old box where the entire house is wired to

If grid goes down the inverters supply L1, L2, N to the old box via the energy stored in the batteries.

I get to take advantage of the built in transfer switches and I don't have to go around and reset the 5000 clocks in my house lol

Heavy 240 loads go unusable until grid is available

Grid comes back, the inverts switch back to pass through mode, recharges the batteries based on selected profile and life goes on.

Thoughts?

split phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jerry-griffin avatar image
jerry-griffin answered ·

You might be better to take 50a 110v from your old panel to the multi and then put in a smaller 110v panel after the multi with just the essential 110v loads on it (you couldn't put all 110v loads on it or it would be off balance, I think) unless there is some 220v loads you need during backup you don't need the split phase. You wouldn't have every light and plug but the cost would be much lower, even in hospital back up systems not every 110v load is live only partial lighting, essential equipment and red coloured plugs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·
This is correct.

Do you know how much load you actually have? 3kw per phase is kind of small for most US homes. This should also be a 48V system.

2 |3000