question

southsideph avatar image
southsideph asked

Multiplus 12/1600/70-16 Charge Voltage too high 16V

We were at a festival in the camper the other night and was woken up to over voltage alarms, electrics going haywire. The 12v System had become 16v with Multiplus 12/1600/70-16

1656974324257.png

Multiplus was connected to the onsite hook-up - generator based. Unplugged the mains and everything returned to normal. I haven't connected to grid/shore again yet as I'm trying to identify likely cause or if fault with the Multiplus before I re-connect. Has anyone else experienced such events?

Rgds

battery chargingmultiplus ve.bus
1656974324257.png (22.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
southsideph avatar image
southsideph answered ·

It Looks like the mystery of the over voltage has been resolved. The story so far is the Multiplus kept overvoltage charging, voltage was increasing to 16V+ volts on a 12V system.

The only reference I had was 16.2V is the standard equalisation voltage. Equalisation was disabled so I thought. there was no indication even VRM does not report the Multiplus as being in equalisation mode.

Further research identified there is a feature in the Multiplus, in that if you switch between On and Charge only without going to the off position first, this puts the Multiplus into automatic equalisation or forced absorption irrespective of any other settings- don't really understand this but seems this is the case.

Enter the Digital Multi Control (DMC) - This was fitted to enable switching between modes and adjusting the AC input current Grid/Shore/Generator. The other reason for the DMC was to be able to disable the inverter etc. when not required.

So because of the above feature, it seems i set the Multiplus into automatic equalisation by switching the DMC from on to Charge Only, the only way to identify is an obscure flashing of a combination of LEDs.

Unfortunately this lesson has come at high price and voltage sensitive equipment

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic