question

carterc avatar image
carterc asked

Open Ground on Victron Multiplus 12/300

I have a Victron Energy Multiplus Inverter/Charger 12/3000, 120V. With each of the 110v outlets I am getting an open ground upon testing. The Lynx Distributor 1000 system is chassis grounded as recommended. All three of my 110V outlets are GFCI outlets, each of them on a separate 20 amp breaker. I changed one of the outlets to a standard 110V outlet which still showed a Open Ground. Do you have any ideas of what could be wrong?

Carter Carlson
imediamix@yahoo.com

support
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

Can you post a line diagram of your system...

The multiplus has a ground relay, internal by default, which connects ground to neutral when there is no AC input but there shouldnt be anything that actually disconnects a Ground conductor from your physical ground point anywhere.

Where / How are you making this measurment?

Neutral and Ground should be the same potential, typically bonded at the point your supply originates, whether that is a grid supply or a generator with an earth spike/s.

When the Inverter is running, and AC is disconnected, your AC loads are isolated from the incoming live/hot, and possibly neutral - I have seen conflicting comments regarding that, but by default the ground relay closes, making a local connection between neutral and ground.

The relay operates either because the incoming neutral has been disconnected but more likely because it may have been disconnected, and the correct location for the bond is now the inverter as it is the origin of the supply.

The point is in all cases ground and neutral will, should, be bonded before both are connected to load circuits. Of corse if your 'Ground' is not physically grounded the system will not be complient or safe as there is no fault path.

Also note that Ground and 0V in inputs are not isolated as far as I know but the AC output is isolated from the DC input, battery, and thus not refrenced to it untill a Ground-Neutral connection is made.

[ At least that is what I understand and if I am wrong I want to know too ]

Describing how the 'open ground' is being determined, and with what equipment speciffically, will help, as will a diagram of youy main connections.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron - Where to buy - Authorised Installers, Sales and Distribution

Warranty and Repairs.