question

s-gissel avatar image
s-gissel asked

ve.direct fails in every scenario (Multiplus II GX, 2022) with raspberry pi

I own a Multiplus 2, but no battery yet. Connected it with 230V AC. Set it up with bluetooth to my wifi, connected it to vrm portal, used VEConfiguration remote to download the settings file, used VEconfiguration to add ESS assistant, set voltages accordingly. Reuploaded it thru VRM portal.

---

I have JST 4 pin plugs and connected the first with a PL2303 USB adapter (solidly soldered). GND to GND, TX to RX, RX to TX.

Failed every time with the following error:

[ 309.566796] pl2303 ttyUSB0: pl2303_get_line_request - failed: -32
[ 309.574672] pl2303 ttyUSB0: pl2303_get_line_request - failed: -32
[ 312.678933] pl2303 ttyUSB0: error sending break = -32

Tried RX to RX and TX to TX as well.

and is hard to debug as it doesn't have any LEDs. On a YT tutorial (OffGrid Garage Australia) the guy connected a multiplus using this adapter to VE.direct. (think to a Cerbo GX, not Multiplus 2 directly).

---

Bought a FTDI Adapter USB auf TTL Serial Adapter FT232RL Chip Arduino 3,3V 5V. No luck either. GND light is red constantly (indicating success) and TX light is flashing as it tries every baud rate the adapter knows. But no RX light is coming on. Again GND to GND, TX to RX, RX to TX (and opposite).

On all tutorials I read people connect it to MPPTs and other victron devices, but I feel unable to get this running.

20220703-134158.jpg

20220703-134225.jpg

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Multiplus-IIVE.Direct
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
@S_Gissel moved to modifications.
0 Likes 0 ·
s-gissel avatar image s-gissel Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
@Matthias Lange - DE maybe you can guide me through the process of setting this up?
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ s-gissel commented ·
No, I only use original equipment.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
bonzai avatar image
bonzai answered ·

I believe that you need a mk3 usb Adapter for the communication with the multiplus. The vedirek is for the communikation for example mppt or shunt.

You have a GX? For what is the raspberry? You can only run one GX device each System. What should the raspberry show/read?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

s-gissel avatar image s-gissel commented ·
Yes it is a GX device. The raspberry will connect the multiplus and the JK bms.
0 Likes 0 ·
bonzai avatar image bonzai s-gissel commented ·

You can plug in the jkbms directly with usb to the multiplus, you don't need the raspberry. The only thing you have to do is to install the driver from here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/76159/victron-venusos-driver-for-serial-connected-bms-av.html.

but i believe the jkbms needs another plug then ve.direkt, its smaller.

You can also take a usb hub if you need more usb for mppts o.ä. because the GX device have not enough space for plug in with VE.Direct. and there you need the same Adapter

1 Like 1 ·
s-gissel avatar image s-gissel bonzai commented ·
So the venusOS of the multiplus is as good as the one on my raspberry? That is most wonderful.

So I can use the RS485 JK bms converter to USB directly on the USB port of the multiplus? So I don't need the ve.direct or ve bus connection to my raspberry, not even the raspberry itself. Perfect solution for me. I had a lack of knowledge of victron architecture and possibilities.

0 Likes 0 ·
bonzai avatar image bonzai s-gissel commented ·
It is exactly the same OS! For sure, you don't need the raspberry
1 Like 1 ·
danirpg avatar image
danirpg answered ·

Hi s-gissel,

Check the baudrate you are using, VE.Direct products use 19200 as de documentation says.

Also check the rest of serial port config 1656857789187.png

One thing i would try at this point also is to use a pc with windows or something else with a serial app and check if dont receive anything either.

If you dont receive any VE.Direct text protocol data, you can try to use the HEX protocol to see if the inverter responds.

Try with a ping command 1656857892182.png

I guess you have all the documentation of VE.Direct but if you dont, you can found it here: https://www.victronenergy.com.es/support-and-downloads/technical-information

Best regards.

1656857789187.png (12.6 KiB)
1656857892182.png (16.3 KiB)
2 |3000

s-gissel avatar image
s-gissel answered ·

Measuring voltage on GND and + while running the multiplus II GX is 0.03 volts. :-(

3 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

You will not measure any Voltage on GND and + at the MultiPlus. Those pins to to be provided with power from the external device in order to power up the outward facing side of the digital isolator.
The VE.Direct port is not for providing data from the MultiPlus, ti is for data to go in to the GX device like from an MPPT or BMV. It is a data consumer, not a data provider.
What you have seen on the OffGridGarage was Andy's Phoenix Inverter with VE.Direct port which does provide data to connect to his RaspberryPi. His MultiPlus uses VE.Bus to connect to his RaspberryPi.

1 Like 1 ·
s-gissel avatar image s-gissel wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
That explains. Thanks.

Can you confirm bonzai's statement about plugging the JK BMS directly to the multiplus, install the additional driver and just use the venusOS of the multiplus? That would be perfect for me.

0 Likes 0 ·
pvpax avatar image pvpax s-gissel commented ·
Yes, you can connect the JK BMS to the USB-port of the Multplus GX.

There are two options:

1.) Directly (JK--FTDI--GX)

2.) Indirectly (JK--JK RS485 adapter--RS485 to USB adapter--GX)

I feel better with the second solution, it adds a level of protection into the connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Multiplus are Ve.Bus devices, no Ve.Direct devices. You need a MK3 to USB interface, not a Ve.Direct to USB interface and it is NOT a plain RS485 either. Buy the original dongle. You can get away with a RS232 3.3V or TTL USB adapter for the Ve.Direct interfaces on the MPPT controllers or Shunts (BMV, Smart Shunt), but for ANYTHING Ve.Bus You NEED the MK3 Interface, it is not just a serial converter, it has a firmware from Victron inside for the protocol stack.

Doesnt a GX device have already a VenusOS inside, why adding a raspberryPi on topp? And if you want an external GX controller, why did you buy the Multi GX?

You cannot have 2 GX devices on the same installation.

I would strongly recommend reading the user and installation Manuals instead of watching YT videos of Offgrid-Garage. You may discover then, that the Ve.Direct port you are abusing is a INPUT to your built-in GX controller, you can connect there a MPPT controller or a BMV / SmartShunt to be uploaded to VRM, you will not get any data out of it.

I hope you haven't wrecked the interface with your experiments.

2 |3000