question

russ avatar image
russ asked

connecting Venus GX to battery

I'm replacing my almost-failed AGM batteries with PylonTech.

What is 'best' or 'accepted' practice to connect the venus (power) to the batteries? There is a diagram i found which shows the gx powered off the Multiplus battery terminals. Presumably somehow terminating the power leads with 8mm lugs. sticking the bare wire under the nut doesn't seem right...

The gx has a fuse in line, but i'll also include a switch.

Is that best, or should i power it off either the 'output' side of the battery main breaker, or the 'input' side of the main breaker. In which case, i'd have to also provide a negative bus connection point as well.

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Best practice is to use busbars and connect the battery and the loads to them. Use fuses for everything connected there (on the positive wires). You can DIY the busbars from copper bars or you can buy already made ones.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Russ

Beat practice is to have it powered up all the time. So wherever in the system that is.

Directly off the battery works or since on Pylons that does not work, so at the fuse disconnect if you have one. Then the rest of the system should be programmed to switch off before the batteries are depleted to bms disconnect.

That way you will always have power to the GX to see what is going on.

Bus bar as @Seb71 mentioned also works.

1 comment
2 |3000

russ avatar image russ commented ·
It turns out the disconnect i have has 2 poles, so it switches both + and -, as required by our regulations apparently, so off the disconnect it is...

0 Likes 0 ·