question

chris-john avatar image
chris-john asked

GX Touch 50 keeps rebooting

My GX touch 50 keeps rebooting. I did post this on another thread as was told it was being investigated and then that thread was closed. Reposting and hoping it’s picked up again

touchscreen
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·
Hello @Chris John , does it reboot often? Does the Cerbo GX reboot or just the touch 50?

Thanks

Trevor

0 Likes 0 ·
chris-john avatar image chris-john Trevor Bird commented ·
Victron have confirmed it’s just the touch rebooting
0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird chris-john commented ·
Well one question would be is this a hardware or a software problem. I guess if the power supply could be soft causing it to restart if the brightness of the display draws too much current. I would turn the brightness down and see if it makes any difference at all. (that may sound a but whacky but you have to start somewhere).
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

This thread?

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/131941/touch-gx-and-i-assume-cerbo-rebooting.html

Usual causes for Cerbo rebooting are either poor internet connection, or too many connected devices overloading it.

Poor internet connection reboots can be configured by you. Otherwise check for excessive connections by removing devices.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chris-john avatar image chris-john commented ·

No it was another thread where one of the Victron guys said it was being investigated then closed the thread. it’s at the bottom of this thread

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/136839/venus-os-v286-released.html?childToView=137774#comment-137774

0 Likes 0 ·
aplord avatar image aplord chris-john commented ·

@kevgermany hi and thanks for your thoughts. When you say "Otherwise check for excessive connections by removing devices." - what kind of devices do you mean? My Cerbo GX has a Touch 50 screen attached and it is rebooting, freezing and dropping Wi-Fi really badly. When I disconnect the Touch 50 the problems stop. So I am looking for the underlying cause.

My Cerbo GX is connected to:

• 8x Ruuvi sensors via Bluetooth
  • 1x GX Tank 140, with 3x sensors behind that
  • 1x native tank sensor
  • 2x Victron shunts
  • 1x Victron inverter
  • 1x Victron charger

That all seems within the spec as I understand it. The Cerbo GX is receiving >13 volts power supply. I have also checked the Wi-Fi/Touch 50 interference problem, my unit was manufactured after they fixed that fault, I opened it to check. And I am familiar with the lost internet/reboot parameter.

Thanks very much if you can shed some light, this is driving me mad...

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ aplord commented ·
@aplord

You have the usb port next to the hdmi port connected to the Touch 50?

0 Likes 0 ·
aplord avatar image aplord JohnC ♦ commented ·
Yes I do. To stop the problems I disconnected the HDMI port and the USB next to it that powers the Touch 50. My current working hypothesis is that I am overloading the power available via USB - see my reply (once I write it!) to @kevgermany below.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ aplord commented ·
Not sure if you've already tried it, but elimination might tie down the issue.

Does the problem still occur if you disconnect all the Ruuvi sensors for instance? If not, can you add some back?.

Looks like you do have many to deal with.

0 Likes 0 ·
aplord avatar image aplord kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for your thoughts again. I forgot to mention two devices connected via USB, and come to think of it, the Cerbo started misbehaving at around the time I connected them. I added a USB GPS antenna, but having run out of USB sockets, I added it and the GX Tank 140 to a separate USB hub that I plugged into the Cerbo. I am guessing that the load from the Touch 50 + GPS + GX Tank 140 + second shunt is right on the edge of what the Cerbo can provide, and setting up a WiFi link tips it over. So I will install a powered USB hub and see how I get on. Thanks again for your help.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic