question

jussi-1 avatar image
jussi-1 asked

Smart Battery Senser, MPTT and VE.Direct

Hi all!

I have Victron SmartSolar 100/30 and Smart Battery Senser installed. I also added VE.Direct connection to the SmartSolar to connect to my own systems.

However, I found that the temperature data from Smart Battery Senser isn't available. Is there a way to get it available to VE.Direct? I think it would be smart addition to the system that the SmartSolar would send that data if it's available.

Thank you!

VE.DirectTemperature SensorSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

SmartSolar can receive battery temperature (and battery voltage) from Smart Battery Sensor if you use VE.Smart Networking.

But maybe you already have this enabled?

I also added VE.Direct connection to the SmartSolar to connect to my own systems.

Connect to what, exactly?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jussi-1 avatar image jussi-1 commented ·

Thanks for answering.

Yes my SmartSolar and the sensor are connected and everything works fine from Victron side.

I have my own system that reads data from the MPTT using VE.Direct protocol (text based). The problem was that the temperature data is not available there even though the sensor is connected with the MPTT.

0 Likes 0 ·
jussi-1 avatar image
jussi-1 answered ·

I have now been trying to read temperature from MPTT using VE.Direct HEX protocol. However I can't get any answer.

1657475779332.png

When I tried to read value from 0xEDEC, the device doesn't respond to that but instead sends different async variables. The command I'm using is :7ECED0075

1657475707975.png

Am I understanding something wrong. Shouldn't that register contain battery temperature that MPTT receives from smart battery sensor?

Firmware is 1.59

1657475707975.png (5.8 KiB)
1657475779332.png (21.5 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

Any ideas from anyone?
0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ jussi-1 commented ·

Let's move this to modifications section where more help regarding VE.Direct protocol may be available.

0 Likes 0 ·
jussi-1 avatar image jussi-1 wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks! I didn't notice that.
0 Likes 0 ·
BUMP
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
looks like this register is for telling the MPPT what the battery temperature is - so it can apply the temperature compensation. reading from a write only (assumption) can produce some strange results. If you need to know the battery temperature for your own monitoring, this will have to be read from the battery sensor. - pain, but there is other useful data there too.
0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

img-20220721-114006.jpgDo you use BT to connect the two devices? Have you installed AND configured a temperature sensor on the smart shunt? Look in the App where you established the BT Network, does it say, that temperature is transmitted, do you have temperature readings in your App for the SmartShunt?

I don't use a temp sensor on my SmartBMV, instead I monitor my start battery voltage, so there is no temperature transmitted (and I don't want temperature data transmitted, as I have LiFeYPO4 batteries, they need a flat charge profile WITHOUT temperature compensation)

It may be the case, that the Ve.Direct protocol of the MPPT only transmits own data, and does not re-transmit data received from another device. So you may need to read this data via Ve.Direct from your smart shunt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi! Thanks for answering.

Yes those two devices are connected with bluetooth and the MPTT sees the sensor (so voltage and temperature are coming from sensor). I can see the temperature when using Victron Connect and it says that they are connected.

The sensor does not have VE.Direct port, it only operates using bluetooth. That's why it would be needed to get the temperature from MPTT, which naturally knows it as the bluetooth displays it.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual