question

basheer-alzedaar avatar image
basheer-alzedaar asked

CO2 Saving Calculation

Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of a big project that includes hundreds of off-grid solar systems, I have an issue with calculating the CO2 saving Targets. I relied on two sources of the calculation equations 1st is a document from the SMA company and the other is the data output from VRM of running a 22kWp system for 6 months. I found that the VRM result is 5 times the other ref.

I am kindly seeking your advice on the equations VRM uses to calculate the CO2 saving or other trustworthy references.

Appreciating your support.

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

This calculation depends on the CO2 production of the displaced energy source - generator or grid. There are even arguments about these figures - as if you reduce the load on the grid, what source do they shut down (reduce power on)? If the grid is mainly Hydro, and you base the calculation on average grid CO2 production, then the saving is less than a grid based on heavy oil engines. Small grids usually run a smaller light diesel genset somewhere, and a reduction in grid load is usually taken off that set - with grid baseload provided by Hydro or Heavy Fuel Oil. Some larger countries base their grid on gas turbines - with a much faster response rate and different CO2 than HFO. In these instances, a reduction in grid load comes off one gas turbine, so that would be the conversion figure to use.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.