question

nilocr avatar image
nilocr asked

Freedom Won Lite Li battery

Can someone please explain to me what happens under the following conditions. I have set a minimum SoC limit via ESS of 40%. If I then have loadshedding and the load drains the battery continuously below the 40% limit. When and what happens if the loadshedding continues way beyond the expected few hours? ( to the battery and to the inverter - Victron 48/10000). Thank you. Colin

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

If there is no battery BMS (which also might turn the inverter off), the Inverter should shutdown/turn off when the Dynamic cutoff voltage is reached. So make sure you set those voltages (there are more voltages, depending on load) properly for your battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The FW has a CAN BMS from orion, it will disable discharge if you get too low. Else, ESS will recharge it from grid to the minimum when power returns or the inverter will power off at the minimum soc set, and power on again once the minimum restart threshold was hit. Plenty of protection.

2 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
When there is no grid, minimum SOC set in ESS does not stop the battery discharge when reached.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ seb71 commented ·
True, but the shutoff voltages will and these are clearly defined in the victron setup guide for the battery.
0 Likes 0 ·
nilocr avatar image
nilocr answered ·

Thanks for your replies.

Does your replies mean that the system will manage itself off and back on again when the grid electricity becomes available.

Is the point where the battery switches itself off at a %(like min SoC) or is it when it gets to a low voltage level.

Does that mean the lights go out when this point is hit. Again. will it all come back by itself

5 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Minimum SOC set in ESS is ignored if there is no grid.

The only safeguards in this situation are the battery BMS (if it exists) and the Dynamic cut off voltages set in ESS (in the inverter).

Do you also have PV panels and a MPPT charger?

0 Likes 0 ·
nilocr avatar image nilocr seb71 commented ·
But what happens at that point from a practical point of view.
0 Likes 0 ·
Yes 24 X 540 w panels and 3 X 250/100 mppts. All Victron. The Freeddom Won Lite 30/24 says it has an advanced BMS.
0 Likes 0 ·
I am not an electrician, I just want to know what happens practically when the system drains itself to finality. And then how do you get it back again.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ nilocr commented ·

If your system is configured to the victron/FW setup guide, the inverter will shutoff at the cutoff voltages set, and power on again when they have recharged, either from grid or solar.

It should never have to rely on the BMS as a failsafe if configured correctly.

At this stage there would be no power until online again.

EDIT. This assumes the pack is properly balanced from regular charging to full capacity. If one cell drops too low the BMS will disable the battery. In any case, you can't damage the battery, the FW has a solid BMS.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources