question

mike-g avatar image
mike-g asked

Controlling a Phoenix 24/3000 inverter and SmartBattery Protect with a Lynx Smart BMS

I have a Phoenix inverter in a system with Lynx Smart BMS, Smart Battery Protect and Cerbo. Will the Cerbo shut the Phoenix down via VE.Bus when a low voltage condition occurs? Or is it necessary to use the ATD pins to open the remote on the Phoenix? This is problematic, as the ATD pins are used to control a Smart BatteryProtect in LI-ion mode. The SBP was implemented to provide an additional layer of protection for DC loads.

BMSPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Mike_G

I'm not 100% sure. It could work. But you can test this by simply unplugging one of the two BMS cables from the Lynx Smart BMS. This will trigger an alarm situation and should cause the Phoenix to stop inverting, provided it is under DVCC control.

If this does not work, you can also install another SBP and connect it to ATD. Then control the Phoenix remote on/off via the SBP.

edit:

I did further research. The definitive answer is that the Phoenix Inverter VE.Bus is only partially DVCC compatible and only when the BMS speaks CAN-bus protocol (which the Lynx Smart BMS does). This is enough to disable the Phoenix in case of a low cell voltage event. DCL (discharge current limit) control, on the other hand, does not work in this case. This shows the difference to compatible devices like MultiPlus/Quattro or smart solar chargers.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike-g avatar image
mike-g answered ·

That seems to work. The remote contacts on the Phoenix are bridged. Pulling the battery connection triggers a low voltage alarm and the Phoenix stops inverting.

4 comments
2 |3000

Good to know, thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·

@Mike_G

I did further research. The definitive answer is that the Phoenix Inverter VE.Bus is only partially DVCC compatible and only when the BMS speaks CAN-bus protocol (which the Lynx Smart BMS does). This is enough to disable the Phoenix in case of a low cell voltage event. DCL (discharge current limit) control, on the other hand, does not work in this case. This shows the difference to compatible devices like MultiPlus/Quattro or smart solar chargers.

0 Likes 0 ·
mike-g avatar image mike-g Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for that additional information. Can you think of a way to program the relay on the Lynx, Skylla IP65 or Cerbo to respond to both LCV and DCL events and open the remote pins on the Phoenix? The relay on the Lynx appears to respond to all events that generate an alarm, and can't be limited to specific events.

However, I don't think a single Phoenix 24/3000 would exceed the DCL of the BMS, so the question may be moot. Please advise if my thinking is incorrect.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mike-g commented ·

Sorry Mike, but that's not possible. Provided the hardware would support this, it would also need sophisticated firmware. I doubt this will be developed any time soon, if ever, simply because there are other ways to disconnect non-DVCC compatible devices such as using devices that have a remote on/off port.

0 Likes 0 ·
mike-g avatar image
mike-g answered ·

The SBP also disconnects, so everything works as planned.

2 |3000