question

Marcin Mocydlarz avatar image
Marcin Mocydlarz asked

Easysolar II GX + 2xMP II - 3phase system

Hi, I have bought Easysolar II GX one year ago - 48v220 3kVA.

This year I have ordered 2 x MP II 48/220 3kva.

Based on this: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/EasySolar-II_GX/en/appendix.html there are schemas with 3 phase connection easysolar and 2 mp devices.

I'm planning to connect this devices into 3 phase system, question is - is it really possible?

Easysolar has VE.bus 2629490

Easysolar II GX has been made in 2020 and MP II in 2022 - is that problem?

Regards

Marcin

3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@Marcin Mocydlarz

My system evolved similar way but first I bought ES-II and 2 MP-II to setup a 3 phase system. It worked but I needed more power.

Later (1.5 year) I added 3 MP-II and my setup was 3 phase 2 parallel MP-IIs in each phase.

It worked but not perfect because there was power imbalance in each phase.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/91403/how-to-balance-2-mp-iis-in-parallel.html

At the moment I am running 3 phase system with 2 MP-II in each phase.

Phase L1 uses older units (1 ES-II and 1 MP-II from 2019) and phases L2 and L3 use newer units (2 MP-II in each from 2021).

Based on my experience you should be able to setup 3 phase system with ES-II from 2020 and 2 MP-II from 2022.

There is one possibility that you might be getting Error #11 described here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:ve.bus_error_codes

Determining used hardware version

There has been a change (late 2020/early 2021) in the way the Ground relay test mechanism works. Newer units use an auxiliary contact on the ground relay, while older units measure the voltage between GND and Neutral.

The advantage of the new version is that the checking of the ground relay is immune to how the system is wired, and any possible errors in wiring on the input side and/or the output of the inverter/charger.

How to diagnose an error strongly depends on the underlying hardware, therefore as a first step, find out which hardware version is used, by using this table:

Model Serial number
MultiPlus-II 48V 3kVA ≤ HQ2048
MultiPlus-II 48V 3kVA GX ≤ HQ2050
MultiPlus-II 24V 3kVA ≤ HQ2101
MultiPlus-II 48V 5kVA ≤ HQ2116
MultiPlus-II 48V 5kVA GX ≤ HQ2122
EasySolar-II 48V 3kVA MPPT 250-70 GX ≤ HQ2130
All other models Any serial number

All non-listed models have the improvement from their first production, meaning they are always the new hardware.

I am getting this error from time to time but I have 6 units in the system.

To get rid of this problem I am changing to 3 x MP-II/5k + Cerbo + MPPT250/70.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marcin Mocydlarz answered ·

@MarekP thanks for feedback.

It looks I have ES older(HQ2046) hardware and MP with newer (HQ2209).

I have seen your thread with power imbalance - hope in my case without parallel it is not a problem;)

Both ES and MP have the same VE.Bus version, so there is chance to work fine but in training materials is an information:

Age - look at the serial number, first two numbers is year and
second two numbers is week of build. Try to order all units in
same order or do not use unit more than 1 year apart in age.

there is some inconsistency between manual and other materials, or missing precise description;/

I have to make live check and back with results.

2 comments
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

@Marcin Mocydlarz

I have the following serial numbers:

HQ2010NKEKN this is ES-II
HQ1933WCXLK this is older MP-II connected parallel to ES-II
HQ2049TB7J5 this MP-II ordered later
HQ2049N87HJ this MP-II ordered later
HQ2049W2BPH this MP-II ordered later
HQ21102LWXZ this MP-II replaced by Victron the first older MP-II

Try asking your supplier if they will work together in 3 phase system. He will/should ask Victron Service.

If Victron says that there is no problem, than if later problem arises you will have warranty claim.

Mine was replaced for that exact reason. Victron did not see a problem before I bought the 3 extra MP-IIs.

0 Likes 0 ·
Marcin Mocydlarz avatar image Marcin Mocydlarz marekp commented ·

Good point, I will do that

0 Likes 0 ·
Marcin Mocydlarz answered ·

Just update. All works fine!

2 |3000

jonf3n avatar image
jonf3n answered ·

It's 2023. I'm considering doing something similar:
3-phase with the latest 48v ES-II GX 5kWh + 2 MP-II 5kWh.

Will that work well?

1 comment
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

I would not advise that configuration.

Better system consists of 3 x MP-II 48/5k, Cerbo GX and MPPT 250/100.

Better GX unit, cooler running with MPPT outside and you have 3 identical units that is easier to have one spare.

Also you should be aware that those units are not 5kW but 5kVA.

0 Likes 0 ·