question

sidpost avatar image
sidpost asked

VE-direct that will trigger an SSR?

First, my friend and I are in the USA so, that may be part of our problem. What I have gathered navigating this website/forum is that the VE-Direct doesn't like steady loads and voltage sags at 25ma of current draw.

Does Victron make a turn-key cable and SSR that will support a 10A 24VDC load? Or, do we need to put a buffer/amp in line to drive an SSR and isolate our 150/35 charge controller from the SSR?

The problem we have is that connecting our SSR to the VE-Direct line causes a voltage sag to ~2V which won't trigger the SSR. My thought is that the SSR is drawing enough current to cause voltage sag when connected to VE-Direct.

The other solution would be to buy an SSR that doesn't require much current and would latch the logic state and release the VE-Direct line.

TIA, Sid

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sidpost avatar image
sidpost answered ·

When plugged into the SSR, it reads ~2V. Do we have a bad SSR or do we need to latch the signal so it has TTL'ish logic?

It appears the VE.Direct signal is sagging due to current draw based on what I have read on this site.

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
To clarify, are you using the VE.Direct TX Digital out cable or are you simply driving the SSR from the Tx pin directly?

The Tx pin is quite high impedance so it will not drive an SSR directly. The official cable solves this by buffering the signal and using the 5V pin which can drive an SSR easily.
Otherwise you could make a buffer yourself as you suggest, use the 5V pin of the VE.Direct port to energise your circuit and the SSR.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources