question

michael-m-b avatar image
michael-m-b asked

Off-grid generator power output issue! Advice wanted.

When my generator is running (after auto or manual start), the power it outputs is not steady and doesn't seem related to AC loads or PV Yields. Occasionally, for reasons I cannot discern, it does produce a high and steady output. When the output is steady the batteries can charge from 20 - 90% in around 2 hrs. When output is irregular (in identical PV weather conditions) batteries can take up to 4 hours to charge.

Does anyone have any advice on why this might be happening and how to fix it? My installer doesn't have a clue.

Thanks!

Off-grid System overview for context:

1 x Victron-EasySolar 48/5000/70-100 inverter
12 x NeOn2 LG350N1C-V5 solar panels
2 x PowerPlus ECO4840P batteries
1 x DIESEL (AIR COOLED) 7KVA 1 PHASE - Generator (Auto-start)

generator-issues-10622.jpeg

Generatoroffgridinput current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Michael M B

It appears to me as though the onboard Multiplus is rejecting the generator input. This can happen for a number of reasons, but some are described here.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

The LOM stuff shouldn't apply to you, unless you're running ESS (you shouldn't be).

The most important settings are possibly disabling UPS and enabling Dynamic Current Limiter. The WeakAC function can be a bit of a cure-all if you get stumped, but it will severely limit input and apply a poor power factor to your loads. Could be useful though to determine if you really do have a rejection issue. There's other things that might cause this too, but see how you go with these and come back.

I hope you have access to the Multi's settings, you're gonna need that. And your VRM charts seem a little 'gappy', I don't know what's happening there.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron Offgrid page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic