question

jackbauer avatar image
jackbauer asked

Quattro 10kw Firmware Update Problem

So I have attempted to update the firmware on my 10kw quattro. After everything complete I get a window on the pc saying a general error has occured and all leds on the inverter are flashing. I can connect with ve config and it reports the new firmware version but the inverter is not starting up. Any help much appreciated. Used an MK2 interface.

firmware update
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

creswell avatar image creswell commented ·

I've just had the same problem updating the firmware from 1942125 to 1942209 on a Quattro 24/5000/120 PC says General Protection error. VE config reports correct input voltage and software version but inverter will not start and LEDs are flashing slowly, tried a Mk3 and a Mk2 USB interface. Tried loading the non assist firmware 1942159 with the same result. Using Win 10 on a Surface pro Can anyone help?

0 Likes 0 ·
11 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Hello All.
Victron are still looking into this issue & fixing it.
There is a workaround that's been confirmed to work for a few people.

The issue seems to affect 19xxyyy firmware only; and introduced in a recent version of VEFlash. The work around is to use an older version of VE.Flash, available for download here:

http://updates.victronenergy.com/Executables/Tools/VEFlash.exe

When starting it; cancel/ignore its wish to update itself.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jackbauer avatar image jackbauer commented ·

I can confirm this as working on both of my inverters. Now running latest assistant software. Thanks for the help:)

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Hello All

A new version of VE.Flash which fixes the firmware updating issues has just been released.
Allow your VE.Flash software to Auto-update to receive the latest version.

2 |3000

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Just try again until it works, try another UTP cable / use another laptop / or an MK3 cable.

2 |3000

jackbauer avatar image
jackbauer answered ·

Tried 3 different laptops. Win 7 and xp. USB and hardware serial ports. No change. Then tried updating a multiplus 3kw and it did the same and now dead. Any help much appreciated.

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

did you try different cables? MK3 available?
different UTP cables?

0 Likes 0 ·
jackbauer avatar image
jackbauer answered ·

Tried different cables. No mk3 as yet.

2 |3000

creswell avatar image
creswell answered ·

OK Mine is fixed (Phew... Phew...) used a different laptop but still using Win 10, using Mk3 USB converterso not sure if a Hardware issue with the PC or a weird issue between setups of Win 10. So my thoughts... try a different PC and or a different version of the OS (perhaps use Win 7?

1 comment
2 |3000

rakker avatar image rakker commented ·

I have exactly the same problem on a Multiplus. I did try different cables and a different laptop, however both Win10. Still the same problem. From your answer I see you also tried a mk3 in stead of the mk2 Can it be that the MK2 is the problem?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan avatar image
Alan answered ·

I also tried to updater but it seems my issue is a bit different.

The update actually completed successfully, but the Quattro does not start up. The Bulk/Absoption and Float LEDs flash indicating a Hardware or EEPROM error.

Will try re flashing with an older version tonight.

BTW.

I have thew Quattro 48/10000 was Ver. 2653408 updated with 2653459 using Win 7 Prof and Mk 3 cable.

2 |3000

Alan avatar image
Alan answered ·

So I tried to update the firmware of my Quattr0 48/10000/140 with surprise results.

Downloaded the lates versio for my Quattro 2653459.vff and made a backup of settings with VE.Config3.

Started VE.Flash and all went well even the firmware download completed successfully.

Only problem is the Quattro did not start up again instead flashing the Bulk/Absorption and Float LEDs which seem to indicate a Hardware or EEPROM error.

Managed to get a previous version of Victron website 2653433,vff and tried that with the exact same result. Tried it multiple times without change.

I'm using Windows 7 Prof Laptop with Mk3 cable.

Any ideas?

1 comment
2 |3000

Did you try another laptop?
If I had tried that, I think I'd contact Victron support...

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan avatar image
Alan answered ·

Hi Boekel,

Thank you for your reply. Had issues logging in here to reply.

Yes I did try another laptop without success. I have however managed to get the Quattro sorted again.

From the victron site I downloaded a Non Assistant FW in my case 2653161.vff and updated the Quattro with that. She started straight up again. Once running I initiated an update with the latest Assistant FW 2653459.vff which requested me to enter the Serial No. of my Quattro. After that the update continued and completed successfully with the unit starting up again.

I installed the assistants again and all is good.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for sharing, I'll have to remember that trick :)

0 Likes 0 ·
jackbauer avatar image
jackbauer answered ·

Got an mk3 and tried again. Same result. Two dead inverters. Very poor to design an update procedure that bricks a mission critical product.

2 |3000

jackbauer avatar image
jackbauer answered ·

Well it would seem that because I did not purchase the inverters new from a dealer I have no support. Wow.

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Who said that?

0 Likes 0 ·