question

mk1 avatar image
mk1 asked

Pylontech us3000C not discharging

Hi, My pylontech battery in ESS victron not discharging under 90 %, but SoC is set for 40%.

I want to charge battery only from PV. Instalation start work last week, Is this normal ?

3 modules of US300C and vivtron multiplus II 3000/48

How to fix this ? please help

pylontech.png

battery charging
pylontech.png (40.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
der-hannes avatar image
der-hannes answered ·

Hi,

it may be that you have activated the "optimized, with battery life" mode in the ESS. I'm not sure, but the ESS may not discharge the battery further if it assumes that the battery cannot be fully charged again in an acceptable time. However, this value is adjusted dynamically.

There are two SoCs in the ESS for this. Once the one set by you and once the actual "available" at the moment.

Best regards

Hannes

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
If that were the case, an ESS status code would be shown on the GX and VRM.

It mostly likely is yet another case of poorly configured PV inverter with the docs not being followed.

In any case, there is insufficient information here about the setup to use anything other than spidey senses to guess the usual suspects.

0 Likes 0 ·
mk1 avatar image mk1 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

When its sunny, system works fine, So PV inverter is not the problem.

At night pylontech just dont discharging under 90% and system import energy from grid

pv-production.png

0 Likes 0 ·
pv-production.png (46.6 KiB)
mk1 avatar image mk1 commented ·

So this is ESS parametrs, I only changed SOC for 40 %, other parametrs is from defoult.

Do you thin I should change the mode ? Or maybe battery need 2 weeks to calibrate.

ess-parametrs.png

0 Likes 0 ·
ess-parametrs.png (51.1 KiB)
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ mk1 commented ·
This doesn't appear to be an ESS issue. Only thing to check, are you using schedules?

If so, disable them and see if the issue resolves. If not, I suspect it's an integration issue with your PV inverter.

Is the PV inverter assistant installed?

0 Likes 0 ·
mk1 avatar image mk1 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I dont use schedules of charging and yes pv inverter included in ESS assistant
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @mk1,

Another setting that can cause this behaviour is the 'sustain voltage' which is configured in the ESS assistant in VE.Configure - the documented settings are available here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom#veconfigure_settings

A way to possibly test this is to disconnect the grid and then see if the battery discharges. If it does, let it discharge quite a bit, down to say 50% SOC, and then reconnect the grid. If the battery starts charges back up to ~90% again from the grid, then there is a pretty good chance that it is the sustain voltage setting that is set too high.

It needs to be reduced from the Victron default for Pylontech batteries.

3 comments
2 |3000

Yes sustain voltage is set for 48V like victron recommend in this domumentation
0 Likes 0 ·
Ok, good to rule that out, have you tried disconnecting the grid anyway to see what the discharge behaviour is then?
0 Likes 0 ·
mk1 avatar image mk1 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

And yeah without grid system seems to be work fine, battery cover the demand

ac-in-1-dissconect.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I just had a closer look, and I could see that something very strange is happening on your L1 phase in the first image you posted. Is there a chance that this energy meter has been incorrectly wired inside your switch box?

I can't see any good reason why the L1 should be exporting equal an opposite to the other two phases. That energy meter incorrectly wired might explain the behaviour you are seeing as well. cleanshot-2022-05-31-at-002101.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

yeah this is very strange, but grid meter is charger/inverter

And if PV produce energy then mesurment is correct but withut pv export when system import energy from grid permanently shows export on L1,

Can I do access for you to this instalation and you Can check whats is going on ?

0 Likes 0 ·

and now measure is correct when battery full and pv export

pv-export.png

0 Likes 0 ·
pv-export.png (68.1 KiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Do you have 1 or 3 MultiPlus? Do you have a grid meter (EM24 or ET340)?

Check the charge/discharge limits of the Pylontech (device list > Pylontech > parameters or something like that)

Make some mit Screenshots of the settings in the Cerbo and maybe upload the MultiPlus VE.config settings.

Check the settings in the Cerbo in System setup > AC input 1, this has to be set to "grid", default is "not available".

3 comments
2 |3000

on setup i already have ac input 1 - grid

system-setup.png

0 Likes 0 ·
system-setup.png (46.9 KiB)

pylontech setup :

pylontech-1.png

pylontech-2.png pylontech-1.png

0 Likes 0 ·
pylontech-1.png (35.1 KiB)
pylontech-2.png (51.7 KiB)
pylontech-1.png (35.1 KiB)
The system is - 3 x multiplus II 3kVA ( one gx and dwo normal)

grid meter is charger/inverter because all loads is connect to ac out 1

There are one ET340 to measure PV system

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @mk1 your system seems to think it's a 1 phase system...
did you install the ESS assistant to all units?

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi, thank you for answer.

I thing so... I establish 3 phase system using VE bus configure and then I click on gx device to open VE config and then set all settings start ESS and click send to all devices.

Do you think This is the matter ? I should start ESS and set settings to each device induvidually ?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ mk1 commented ·
The ESS Assistant needs to be configured on each device individually. "Send to all devices" is not applicable for the Assistants.

Select each device from quick configure and configure the ESS Assistant for each.

0 Likes 0 ·
Can I give You an access to this installation and you Can check it remotley whats the case ?
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ mk1 commented ·
"send to all devices" doesn't work for assistants.

You need to install assistants in each device manually.

0 Likes 0 ·
mk1 avatar image mk1 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
OK, thank you very much , so probably this cause all problems

but it also good information because I can quickly fix it.

0 Likes 0 ·