question

Paul B avatar image
Paul B asked

VE direct to NMEA2000 using a BMV702 and CCGX

Have a VE Direct to NMEA 2000 converter connected to a BMV702 and the NMEA2000 network and I can see the battery voltage and Amps on the NMEA2000 network all is well

Now we have installed a CCGX Fw2.23 and connected the BMV702 via the VE direct port to the CCGX and the correct battery details apear.

Now comes the issue

I then plug the VE direct to NMEA 2000 converter into the CCGX and no data is seen on the NMEA 2000 network

on the CCGX the VE direct to NMEA2000 unit is not seen in the device list

I have tied a secound ve direct to nmea2000 unit just in case I have a faulty one still the same

The targeted result is to see volts and amps on the NMEA 2000 network

has anyone got any suggestions

VE.DirectNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

The VE.Direct ports on the CCGX can not be used to export data as you expect. To get it to work you also need to purchase a NEMA 2000 to VE.Can interface & tap into the BMV before the connection to the CCGX.

See extract below;

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, I can confirm that its exactly how Mark says.

One alternative: we are working on an update that makes the CCGX itself transmit NMEA2000 data out over the canbus.

Once available; all you’d need is our VE.Can to Micro-C cable. Lower cost and simpler than that other one you’d need now.

The only issue is that this solution is not available yet; and history has proved that its very hard to predict when it finished; its been in the works for years already. Hopefully a few weeks; but that can still change into a few months.

1 comment
2 |3000

Marc Jähncke avatar image Marc Jähncke commented ·

Hi Mathies, is this result the same if i connect a ve-bus Quattro at the same time to a ccgx and with the N2K Adapter to N2K?

0 Likes 0 ·
harles11 avatar image
harles11 answered ·

I realize this is an old thread - but I'm trying to find an answer on a related issue. I have a CCGX controlling 4 Quattros and I'd like to pull NMEA data out of the CCGX as well. The manual seems to suggest that I can do one or the other - anyone know if that is true? Or if I can continue to manage the inverters with the VE bus and connect to the NMEA network via the VE Can?

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Harles!

Welcome to community!

> Can I continue to manage the inverters with the VE bus and connect to the NMEA network via the VE Can?

yes:

- Connect the Quattros on the VE.Bus port of the CCGX.
- Connect the NMEA2000 network on the VE.Can port.
- Enable the NMEA2000-out feature on your CCGX.

Explained in the CCGX manual, see NMEA2000 section.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

ps do make sure to run a recent software version on your CCGX, ie v2.63.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic