question

godawgs avatar image
godawgs asked

Can Multi-plus II be used to energy shift when grid-tied?

Hi: Can the Multi-plus II be used to shift solar energy captured in batteries to a different time of day when it is grid-tied?

grid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
der-hannes avatar image
der-hannes answered ·

to be honest that's exactly his job ;)

However, you will ideally need a control unit, such as a Venus GX. And the MP-2 only works on one phase, if you want to balance the power across all three phases, you still need a 3-phase wattmeter.

Then your setup should look something like the attached picture.

Best regards

Hannes

xmgtop5.jpg

xmgtop5.jpg (19.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

godawgs avatar image godawgs commented ·
Thanks so much for your reply. I have a north american 240V split-phase requirement. Some questions I have:

1 - If I parallel (2) MP-2 units for the split-phase requirement, do I still need a watt meter?

2 - Does the energy shifting current go through the AC Out 1 or 2, or does it go back through the AC In (from grid)?

3 - If the energy shifting current goes through the AC Out(2), then I will have to put the loads directly onto the AC Out(s), I am guessing. In this case, what is the maximum current that the MP-2 will pass-through AC current from AC In, so that it goes directly to the loads?

Thank you!

Chris

0 Likes 0 ·
der-hannes avatar image
der-hannes answered ·

Hi, unfortunately I don't know exactly what an American 240V split phase requirement is. Maybe you can make a little sketch ;)

To 1:

I would always recommend the watt meter. E.g. the EM340. This gives you a very good overview of your network entry point and the two MP2 can also compensate for all phases over both.

To 2:

In the simplest case, the power goes back into the grid via the AC-IN. So you only need one connection cable for the power. You can use AC-OUT 1 for emergency power operation. In the event of a power failure, this is completely disconnected from the grid (AC-IN) and then operated as an island grid. I think the switching time is less than 25ms, so it's also a great UPS.

To 3:

I'm not entirely sure here, but I wouldn't conduct more than 3000VA through it.

Best regards Hannes

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Also need to check if the MultiPlus that you want to use is type approved for US grid tied operation.
Check for certificates here: https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/certificates

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic