question

vesko avatar image
vesko asked

Is reducing the max amp output damaging for a SmartSolar MPPT150/70?

My EasySolar 24/3000/70-50 is connected to 1950w PV array (2s3p), capable to charge the battery 60, 65 amps on sunny days, but sometimes I have to leave it unattended for a week at times. On these occasions I would like to reduce the max. amp output of the MPPT150/70 to say 7, 8 amps just to keep up with the small loads there.

Will the MPPT150/70 be happy to stop the full power of the PV array getting to the battery?

MPPT ControllersEasySolar All-in-Oneamps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You can limit the charging current if you like, setting it to seven or eight Amps is just fine, that is why the adjustment is available.
I'm not sure why you think it would damage the controller? If anything, it would prolong the life of the controller due to lower current through it. Remember, the PV panels are just a source of energy and you take as much power from them as you need to, they don't force their full power into loads.
Similar to connecting a 100W light bulb to the AC output of your EasySolar, the 100W lightbulb will draw 100W, the EasySolar doesn't try and force 3000W into it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vesko avatar image vesko commented ·
That's great news, perfect for what I need. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

I think you're overthinking this. When the battery is charged, the MPPT just goes into Float mode. It won't try to keep putting all the power available from the PV into the battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

vesko avatar image vesko commented ·
I just don't want the battery to be fully charged all the time.
0 Likes 0 ·