question

mjmny avatar image
mjmny asked

Lead Acid to LiFePo4 conversion - help needed

good afternoon, i am in the beginning stages of converting my TT from LA to LIFePo4. I have purchased a CHINS 12.8v 300ah lifepo4 battery and i have already upgraded my LA WFCO charger to the proper WFCO charger to handle LI battery charging.

I have pulled the 6ga pos & neg battery cables to the inside compartment under master bed where my battery system will reside.

Here are my questions:

1) are the 6ga wires big enough for this new system?
2)i plan on ordering the Victron Energy SmartShunt 500 amp Battery Monitor
3) i am told i need an auto switch, to go back and forth from shore power to battery power, is there a Victron model?
4) i also need an inverter to use my 110V side of my trailer when not plugged in to shore power (i'm aiming for a 2000W pure sine inverter)

5) ordered battery cutoff switch

6) my main questions are:

a)since the TT already uses 6ga wire, can i stay w/ 6 ga wire to connect the shunt, switch & inverter?
b) am i missing anything? do i need bus bars, inline wired fuses (what amp fuse), larger fuses?
c) install directions to wire all this up? My local RV dealers are clueless so this is DIY

TIA for any help!

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
gbzeke avatar image
gbzeke answered ·

Your questions are really beyond the scope of this forum. Lithium is quite a different animal from lead acid. One thing you didn't mention is if you're going to use the alternator on the tow vehicle to charge the lithium battery. If you are, then you could likely damage the alternator and possibly the batteries.

The short answer on the wire gauge is it's not big enough. It all depends on the load and the length of the run of wire. In order to do this right you need to do a lot of study or you'll destroy equipment and/or start a fire. If it were me, I would start with the youtube channel EXPLORIST life. He has a lot of good info. Don't rush this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources