• Cerbo GX & Touch GX
  • Smartsolar MPPT
  • Multiplus 12/3000

looking at the VRM historical data:

- The system overview is missing the current from the generator:

vrm-system-overview.png

but if I look at the 'Consumption tab' then I can see the generator input:

vrm-consumption.png

I am curious to know why the voltage generated/used from the Genset shows as 0.0 kWh, while on the red box shows 70%

in addition, at the time there was an AC load in the system, and the multiplus was also charging the LIPO batteries

Any ideas?

Cheers

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @andres Hs1

Yes, this part of VRM is a mess if you call your ac input 'Generator'. It's not treated the same as Grid, and doesn't count as a producer like Solar. The main issue it has is that it isn't counted as battery input, and only direct consumption from it gets registered. So the bar/pie charts become pretty much useless.

I haven't seen the issue where you've highlighted the boxes, but that may be a decimal rounding thing with your small figures. Shouldn't happen though.

I haven't tested what happens when you call it 'Shore', but you can workaround it by calling it 'Grid'. The issue there is that the data you've accumulated under Generator remains as it is and won't get converted to Grid.

This issue has been around for years now, it's annoyed me too. But thanks for bringing it up. I'll try raising it at a higher level to see what can be done..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @andres Hs1,

Good questions and I have had the same myself.

Here is the explanation as I understand it.

In the overview, you are seeing only Consumption, and not battery charging. Solar is also included, but specific AC source is not defined. If for example there was AC supply (either grid or generator) then it would not be visible if it was only used to charge the battery. If there was a load then it would be visible (though concealed under the catch-all 'consumption').

The explanation for this is that discharge from the battery is also counted as consumption. So if you charged the battery with 10 kWh from the generator, and then discharged 10 kWh from the battery to run loads, it would be incorrectly counted as 20 kWh instead of 10 kWh of load consumption.

In the Consumption, It looks to me that you have mis-coloured your boxes, see my drawing using the coloured lines and arrows connecting the colours of the graphs with the data.

I think this makes it a bit clearer - You have the last 7 days selected, so that is the pie graph we are looking at.

There is some small discrepancy in the numbers, usually due to the time/date cutoff point. This is usually negligible but in this system with a VERY small consumption (less than 1 kWh per week), it's becomes more obvious.

cleanshot-2022-05-16-at-155219.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

pulith avatar image pulith commented ·

Even mine the vrm consumption and solar generation is totally off. Around 1pm the solar charges the battery to 100% n runs on solar yet the solar production and consumption figures are totally wrong. I have attached the screen shots any way to fix it.

Screenshot_20240221_145758_VRM.jpgScreenshot_20240221_145744_VRM.jpgScreenshot_20240221_145733_VRM.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
andres Hs1 avatar image
andres Hs1 answered ·

Hi @JohnC

thanks for the hint, I will change it to grid and see if that fixes the problem

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

wow, I totally missed that! :S, thanks for the explanation and spotting the error

by the way, I am checking right now, the history is missing all the consumption from 1pm. Is there a minimum threshold required for the system to record it? While I am not on the boat, the only device continuously running is the modem, thus, I would expect to see a constant discharge of ~15W

missing.png

missing1.png

Regards
Andres

missing.png (73.5 KiB)
missing1.png (25.0 KiB)
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

To me it's the inconsistency. Solar rightly gets a page as a producer, but Generator only what's directly used. In fact I don't think there's an integrated value for Generator total production anywhere on VRM. I'm offgrid, and the solar and genset hold equal status. The Victron solar of course is reliable. The gensets, along with the cloud, aren't. That's why I keep two. Yet no useful data, not even running time, is available.

I think we could do better than what's there now.

2 comments
2 |3000

I agree with you.

I worked on a design concept that addresses the issues you raise. I’ll see if I can raise it again and try to get it implemented, thanks for the encouragement :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Happy to report that this has now been implemented as we both wanted it to work :)

vrm-generator-historical-usage.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·