question

porcini avatar image

Minimum shore current limit | Multiplus 12/2000/80

Hi,

I'm a little bit disappointed. I know it is my fault that I haven't looked for it before, but comparing the following models with their minimal current limits doesn't make sense to me.

MultiPlus 12/800-1600/35-70 - 2,4A

MultiPlus 12/2000/80 - 4,5A

MultiPlus 12/3000/120-16 - 3,1A

Quattro 12/5000/220/2x100(!!!) - 3,9A


I have installed a Multi C12/2000 to use with a small backup generator with 3.9A (900W). Since I knew the 1600 could go down to 2.4A I haven't expected that the only 300W stronger model has a much higher limit. When I then saw that there are even a Multi/Quattro 3000 and 5000 available with a lower setable input current limit I was really disappointed. What I have to do now is always turn loads off when charging with the generator, since power assist doesn't work. Well, yes, it's my fault.

Nevertheless I wonder if this could be changed. Is there a technical limit why this won't work, but the others do? I have seen that in some models it has already been reduced by firmware. I'm really wondering about the proportions of the different models. First I thought it has to do with the max. transfer capacity, but the Quattro has 100A!


Thank you for telling me the reason.


regards,

Porcini

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Porcini, this is just what it is. If it could be changed, trust me, we’d have done it already.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alright thank you. At least I have learned to keep my mind on limits before buying :)

nbezanson avatar image
nbezanson answered ·

Count yourself lucky, the quattro 12/5000 unit (model 2733) was originally 19A and has now been reduced to 13A. Systems with small generators will just need a separate small charger!

The varying limits surprised me too. I love 99% of Victron's features, but this is the other 1%, for sure.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thank you for sharing your trouble. Looks like I am not alone :)

BTW: Comparing both the 2000 is even bader.

4,5A*230V/2000VA gives ~0,5x min.
13A*120V/5000VA gives ~0,3x min.

Quattro 12/5000/220/2x100 has ~0,18


--> The 2000 is the badest multi when comparing to the minimum shore current limit.