question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Blue Solar MPPT temperature setting

I am concerned that my Blue Solar 150/70 MPPT will not work efficiently , i have set the parameters without any problems however the Temperature compensation is My Blue solar MPPT will not allow me to set the temperature compensation .

Firstly the default says -2.7 which is way out for my batteries , in fact for most batteries . Rolls Flooded recommend 5mv c/cell ( 0.005 ) , my new Trojans AGM say exactly the same . I can select it and change the setting as with any other parameter but once i select Set to have it saved it doesn't save it like any other parameter , it returns to -2.7 .

I have always know temperature compensation to be a value which will be added or subtracted to the charge voltage , never seen any with a " - " in front of it , makes no sense as colder weather increases the voltage .

The temperature here over a year is between 2c and 40c which can change during daylight hours by as much as 8c ( on my 24 volt system that's .06 per degree so less 1.9v to plus .9v .so compensation is necessary , without it my batteries would be ruined very quickly .

Has anyone any knowledge of these controllers and is it a common fault and worth sending iot off to be repaired , its an expensive bit of equipment but batteries cost far more .

temperature compensation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

(-) sign is correct. Here is Trojan's info:

https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/

1652123981925.png

The (-) sign indicates an inverse mathematical relationship. If it was (+), voltage would go up with temperature.

If -2.7 is indicated, it may mean -2.7mV/°F/cell, which may be the default for °F.

Do you have a temperature sensor with it? If not, you may not want to enable temp comp as the units typically work simply by taking a "snapshot" temp when it starts charging in the morning and keep that relationship all day.

1652123981925.png (137.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Thanks Snoobler i can see Trojan used to display the figure with a minus figure . Manual for the Blue Solar shows default temperature is C which i confirmed when i went through the settings and as my system is 24 volt and the default is 48 im even more confused because cant explain why it wont change to 5mv per cell . 0.005 x 12 = 0.060

Am i missing something ?

screenhunter-37.png screenhunter-36.pngMine is Jan 2022 when i bought the batteries , they must have decided to show it differently now . screenhunter-33.png

screenhunter-33.png (110.7 KiB)
screenhunter-36.png (110.5 KiB)
screenhunter-37.png (121.9 KiB)
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

The post I made is from their battery maintenance instructions that's independent of model. If you look at the datasheet you provided, it has to be negative to be able to satisfy the "ADD" side and the "SUBRACT" side. Forumula:

Vcomp = Vspec + (Temp - 25°C) * (-.005mV/°C/cell)

Yes. For a 24V system, your temp comp should be -.060V/°C.

Where are you getting your temperature value, i.e., what is measuring temperature?

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The setting is in mV, so you should be entering -60. I just tried this in the demo library in Victron connect, it works. You can do the same if you wish. I think the reason it's not saving is that your value isn't valid.

2 |3000

ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Thanks both . Managed to save the compensation value at its maximum -3.5 however that is still almost 30% lower than recommended by both Rolls and Troijan batteries at 0.42 mv for a 24 volt battery bank .

Snoobler , i only connected it to power so that i could set up the parameters and check out everything before installing it .

Kevgermany , there is no -60 , the adjustment range only goes from -35 to 0 to 35 so at its max setting its still only just over 50% of what's needed . I found the demo you mentioned and tried myself and it did accept -60 explaining it was for the Battery bank rather than the cell , my Mornigstar uses cells voltage which is all im used to so thats that explained .

I did just realize that the name Blue Solar is also used on the latest MPPT charge controllers that look very different that mine so that might also create problems .Bit like trying to work on a Ford Fiesta with the manual for the current model .

Thats what i dont understand , there are more batteries that would fall outside those parameters than they would cover .

opera-snapshot-2022-05-10-083734-wwwgrillikauppaco.png

screenhunter-38.png

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Thank you. I wanted to make sure you're using an external temperature sensor. The default behavior w/o a temp sensor is undesirable.

-35 is better than nothing. You can always opt to seasonally adjust your default voltages to compensate.

2 |3000

ako avatar image
ako answered ·

I dont know how critical these compensation voltages are to the lifespan of batteries , im concerned that if they were not important then the Batterie manufacture's would not bother to give them .Charging voltages i know are one of the most important settings when setting up and Charge controller and compensation adjustments form part of the voltages .

At 25c theres no problem but any temperature either way ,up or down and the user is using incorrect settings so their batteries will either be overcharged or undercharged , for AGM either is a life shortening problem .

I cant understand what Victron could be thinking off , by imposing these limits , its defeating the basic purpose of a charge Controler which is to charge batteries as efficiently as possible while protecting them from harm so as to get the longest possible life from them .

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I cant understand what Victron could be thinking off , by imposing these limits

Dunno what Victron was thinking.

But now you can guess how many people actually read manuals, let alone the diminishing number of ppl that can actually be bothered to do the maths.

You bought an outdated mppt, and have had 4 months since your battery purchase.

Have you done your sums?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic