question

bluemoon2010 avatar image
bluemoon2010 asked

Charging 2 battery banks from one mppt?

My sailboat has 2 4D flooded lead acid batteries on an 1-2-both switch without an additional dedicated starting battery. I think this effectively makes each battery a separate “bank” in the vocabulary of this forum. We normally use the #1 battery on odd days and #2 on even days, always charging both with the 100 amp engine driven alternator when under power and occasionally when at shore power. Our shore power charger has isolated outputs to charge multiple banks. We primarily weekend on the boat. During the week it is on a mooring without shore power. I want to add 2 x 50W solar panels on the dodger to ensure batteries are well charged when I arrive for the weekend. For occasional 1-2 week summer cruises, I plan to add temporarily mounted 2 x 100w panels to try to minimize or eliminate the need to run the diesel or portable generator to charge while we sit an anchor for multiple days running the fridge And all other comforts of home. I plan to run all the panels in parallel since there is always a shadow risk on a sailboat. We always switch the battery switch off when leaving the boat. I bought a smart Solar mppt 100/30, but now realize that since the batteries are set up as two separate banks, simply hooking up the single output to one of the batteries will not work as intended and hooking up to both batteries effectively combines the batteries into one bank where one battery will charge the other. Any ideas? The simpler the better, please. Thanks from a novice.

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Thanks for the clear description.

Couple of points.

Solar panels should be disconnected from the mppt before disconnecting.

Ideally, all panels to a single controller should be identical. But there are workarounds.

Normal practice is to leave the panels/mppt charging continuously.

MPPTs do not switch on until panel voltage is 5V higher than actual battery voltage. So assuming resting fully charged voltage at rest is 12.6V, you need 17.6V. More is better. Especially with shading.

Shading affects panel output a lot.

Panels must not be disconnected under load unless you use a solar isolator unit or DC switches between panels and mppt.

So what to do?

Let's assume that you go with the 2*50 and 2*100.

Treat as two installations.

Select panels with same max power voltage, ensuring that open circuit voltage will be high enough.

MPPTs to match. 15A output per controller is enough here at 12V for each mppt to handle 150W.

Wire 50W panels to mppts.

Wire mppts to batteries.

Make provision in the cabling for breakers isolators etc.

Make provision in the cabling to temprarily plug in the extra panels in parallel.

Net result is that both batteries always charged individually. If you common the batteries, no issues, they act as a single bank with parallel mppts.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bluemoon2010 avatar image
bluemoon2010 answered ·

Thank you Kevgermany. I appreciate the advice regarding the disconnection of panels under load. I was not aware of that Are you suggesting a disconnect switch between the output side of the mppts and the battery to disconnect during connection and disconnection of the extra 100W panels?

I already purchased sun power panels. The 100W panels have Voc of 21.4v and the 50W panels have Voc of 21.5v. mppt is 17.7 & 17.1V for the 50 &100 watt panels. Max system voltage of both is 45V. Are these ok to use together?

2 x 75/15 mppt‘s are not much more expensive than the single 100/30, so while this feels a bit like a funny solution, I like the simplicity and will go this way. Then I can monitor each battery independently And it feels like I have few opportunities to mess this up.

thanks again, and please come back with answers to my questions above let me know if I interpreted anything wrong.

2 |3000

Related Resources