question

ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman asked

Generator warm up

Is there any chance of getting this feature? I have a 12kw Genset, 3 quattro's in 3phase, Cerbo and 19kw of lifepo4 bank. If I could just get the quattro's to ramp up the battery charge load, say start with 10 amp and add 10amp every 3 minutes, my generator would be so much happier. Seeing it go from startup to 10kw in 30 seconds makes me cringe. It's obviously possible, since I can manually control max gen load in settings, why not have this feature? I see this has been discussed, but timers and external relays are just ridiculous when we know the machine can do this in software. Yes I can lower the charge current, but the whole idea is efficient charging, no? Thx, Ron

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Ur12VMan,

I opened an issue for this here - https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/303 - I believe that everything discussed is still relevant, it also describes and links to some work arounds that exist to get the behaviour.

Update edit - This feature was added here - https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2023/05/31/venus-os-v3-00-generator-start-stop-improvements-ess-peak-shaving/

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scraggs avatar image scraggs commented ·
Hi Guy

I done a firmware update the other day to get the warmup/ cool down but I cant find it in version 3.12, has it been removed ?

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas scraggs commented ·

Have you also updated the inverter firmware and mk3 driver as described in the blog post?

1 Like 1 ·
scraggs avatar image scraggs derrick thomas commented ·

My fault, I updated the inverter firmware and I now have it working.
Thank you.

1 Like 1 ·
ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman answered ·

Hey Guy, I didn't see anything there that addressed the ramp up/down issue, just again external timers and contactors to interrupt the feed in, which is already built in. I just installed a brand new power head to my Genset that should have gone 10k hours and only lasted 5500. I'm sure that the hammer on full throttle behavior of the quattro chargers 30 seconds after a cold start has contributed to it's early demise. The auto start gen feature is critical to my application. The VE guys have added in some super cool gee whiz features that are not exactly mainstream, this one should be on a front burner somewhere. There seems to be lots of interest out there.

2 |3000