question

tiktaalik avatar image
tiktaalik asked

How to wire Orion DC Charger for a single combined Lithium Starter and House Battery

I am fairly new to the Victron Universe and I am in the process of helping someone with a wiring diagram where they want to remove starter battery in the engine bay and replace it with a combined starter/house Lithium battery in the rear of the vehicle. Looking at the two wiring diagrams for the Orion DC-DC charger, this scenario is not included, which is why I am asking for help here.

I’m assuming they would need to follow the Victron Charger Diagram but the starter would be omitted and there would need to be additional battery cables from the starter/aux (installed after the DC Charger)?

The DC Charger can only accept 6AWG cables and for a relocated starter battery the cables from the starter to the starter battery would need to be 1/0 so I am assuming those would need to be run independently of the DC charger?

If anyone has attempted something like this before I would very much appreciate your input.

Thanks!

7efcdcae-94c4-4972-8f3a-c5026c4f7f0e.jpeg

orion dc-dcwiring diagram
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
dc4me avatar image
dc4me answered ·

Depends on what you are starting, be careful with using Lithium for a starter battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

This risks getting to a low house battery/no start situation.

Starter battery should be retained to smooth out alternator fluctuations. What's the reason behind this change?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic