question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

Error #18 why now

Hello,

I am getting tired chasing the every time different error.

I had already errors #1, #3, #8, #10, #11, #17 and probably some others that happened when this system was being set-up.

But why is this #18 happen now after many months of operation.

Power on one phase of my grid dropped, the system instead of switching to inverting just switched off with error #18. Why? I had to turn off all units and turn them on to get it back to work.

error
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

Sounds like 1 out of your 6 inverters didn't turn off correctly during a transition.
This is unfortunately a very hard problem to solve as it most likely was just unlucky and you won't see it again.

Designing reliable Multi inverter systems is hard as there are lots of little details that will get you.
A lot of the errors you have listed, #1 #3 #10 #11 #17 #18 can be caused by coms problems between inverters, if you haven't already, I would replace all your VE.Bus cables with Factory made, Shielded CAT6 and see if that solves your problems.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, correct and very helpful, but use unshielded UTP cable. Not shielded ones.

Never had issues with original UTP cables shipped from Victron.

But some shielded ones are making trouble.

BR.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
I have also never had an problems with the UTP cables from Victron.

We normally just use locally sourced CAT5E unshielded cables that are well made. Never really had an problems.

I was just suggesting trying Sheild CAT6 cables as they tend to have better signal integrity when in the presence of noise.

I basically only install Multiplus-ii 48/5000 and never really had a problem. Have a 2 installs with 12 inverters 4 per phase. I also worry with the MP1 that Victron will discontinue them at some point.

We use Quattro's if there is a generator, hoping to try the Quattro-II 48/5000 out soon but haven't yet used it.

The biggest thing with a multi inverter setup is to buy all the inverters from the same batch. They seem to never give any problems when we buy them together, systems that seem to have iusses are when it is built over a few years.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic