question

waynegdwyer avatar image
waynegdwyer asked

Multiplus 2 now faulting on error #8

I have 4 new multiplus 2 s 3k 240v running in parallel on my yacht( 1 master with 3 slaves) for a month or so. Now for no perticular reason they are are all cutting out on error #8 when shore power is disconnected.

We have removed all ac out connections with same result.

The only way we can get it to invert is to remove ALL loads at startup. Howeever as soon as the loads are applied again the same error 8 and shutdown.

We stripped and reloaded the programming, and the firmware- all for the same result.

We removed the master (as we suspected this unit was the culprit as it had no lights on when they all shut down) and reconfigured as 3 units, same result with the new master going down unlit.

Help

error
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@WayneGDwyer

If you have pumps or motors on the load side, sometimes if one is in the process of dying it can cause the issue. I have seen a washing machine cause this error.

Or someone has mixed up some wiring in the load side somewhere. There should be no continuity between neutral and earth.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

waynegdwyer avatar image
waynegdwyer answered ·

Hey Alex thanks for that responce.

Following your thoughts i completley isolated all the loads. It still had the same error #8 fault and shutdown..

AS this install is on a yacht does it need this ground relay at all, and if nt is it possible to work around it ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@WayneGDwyer

See the error #8 in the manual. It gives several diagnosis and tests you can do to check the setup.

Basically something is oreventing the ground relay opening on connect to grid. So a small current is passing over it somehow.

There is a way outlined in the steps for testing as it connects to grid. Because that is when it will come up with the error.

The ground relay should be enabled for safety reasons. In a parellel setup if the wiring is not quite right then it is possible for one multi to close or open faster than another and keep the relay open.

If you lengthen your wiring or change gauge on the AC to slightly smaller it may help resistance is the key here.

0 Likes 0 ·
waynegdwyer avatar image
waynegdwyer answered ·

Hi Al

Thanks again for your time in looking at my problem.

The new units were installed 2 months ago. and have been running ok.

We just upgraded the solar with 4 x 150 85 solar controllers.

The shutdown and error 8 is happening when we turn the shore power OFF only. We can get the system to recover 100 % of the time by reconnecting the shore power.

We have today tried to change country grids and even set the grid to NONE which we cannot send back to grid.

In the error codes data sheet:

My 12v multi is "new hardware"

Diagnosing GND relay errors in systems with new hardware:

Conclusion: if any of the units repeatedly displays a GND relay error, then that specific unit will have an issue with it's GND relay and should likely be replaced.

Tomorrow we are going to config the inverters as solo's in an effort to determine if any "One" is faulting.

Wish me luck

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@WayneGDwyer

So you have the newer hardware versions of the Multi 2 then?

Reconfiguring that many units is toil.

Hope you have some joy there.

0 Likes 0 ·
waynegdwyer avatar image
waynegdwyer answered ·

Still no joy with this problem..

The 4 multis were purchased new from a victron seller in Feb this year, so assumig "Newer Hardware" ????

Has anyone got ant more ideas ?

HELP

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Just to confirm, with no loads the system powers up correctly.

Once you put loads on the setup faults with Error 8?

It sounds to me like you have a load that failed. If you have a Neutral-Earth join somewhere on the inverter output you will get this error. Most breakers only disconnect the Live so that won't clear the fault.

Do you have double pole breakers on the inverter outputs?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic