question

minus1psi avatar image
minus1psi asked

.rvms file conversion: security danger of publicly posting file

This is a follow-up to .rvms file needs to be opened on a Mac without Windows emulation...

Turns out I live deeply inside of the walled garden that is the Apple ecosystem. Finding a friend with a PC to convert the file is proving harder than expected.

Would there be a security risk if I posted the .rvms file here and asked if someone from this forum would be willing to covert it and post the converted file? In that scenario should I be able to upload the converted file from my Mac?

Thanks!

firmware updatemacOS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

If you trust the person, then no but they could mess with your settings and damage something like your batteries.

Yes, you can upload from your mac.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

minus1psi avatar image minus1psi commented ·
@shaneyake Thank you for your succinct and effective description of that risk.
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Why not just go the suggested route of using parallels and windows 11 as a virtual machine, both are available as a free trial for 7 days?

Then you can do the conversion yourself and delete the virtual machine when it's done.

3 comments
2 |3000

minus1psi avatar image minus1psi commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I could do that. At separate times in past years I have run Windows under Parallels, under another commercial product whose name escapes me, and on a dedicated partition using Bootcamp (along with Ubuntu on another partition).

In all cases it was a pain to set it up. Although largely functional, various features were either finicky or obtuse to me as a Mac user. The net result was that I spent hours dealing with the installation rather than doing productive things. It is not a process that I will engage again with until backed against a wall.

In addition my 2015 laptop is low on space and nearing end-of-life as my laptop. At least 5 different keys on the keyboard are flaky, including the "e" key. Th keyboard is currently a pain to use even with MacOS.

I could definitely do something run Windows on this laptop, and I am sure it is a good option. I am slightly more inclined to buy the least expensive Windows machine I can find at Costco. At the moment they have one for $220, but I am not motivated to do that yet.

Today's big effort to dodge emulating Windows was to order an MK3-USB dongle from Amazon -- hoping it will let me edit whatever needs to be edited. Thank you for that comment in the other thread. The dongle should arrive tomorrow; it seems like something I should have on hand.

I very much appreciate your help and recognize effectiveness of the solution you have proposed. It may be my end game approach.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ minus1psi commented ·

As a long term Mac user in a windows software dominated business world, I've had to manage various incantations of windows on a Mac as well.

I have to say it's easier now than it has ever been - by far the biggest obstacle is the download size and local storage space, but it's possible to run it (slowly) on a very cheap external USB hard drive, or even a USB thumb drive - these should be available for a few dollars.

Then once opening parallels and selecting windows 11 for installation, it shouldn't take more than an hour of mostly unattended computer time before you are in VEConfigure and the job is done.

It's a bit of an awkward thing for now I agree, and we are moving towards more of this functionality coming to the cross platform VictronConnect over time.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake minus1psi commented ·

VE.Config will run in Wine. For editing files from VRM but I haven't gotten it to work with the MK3. VE.Config Wine Bundle is only around 350mb.

0 Likes 0 ·