question

jamierobinson avatar image
jamierobinson asked

Alternative energy meters for ESS

It seems that Carlo Gavazzi may be experiencing some supply or manufacturing problems with the EM24DINAV53DISX

I am installing an ESS on a 3 phase 100A system. There are many other 100A 3 phase meters with modbus capability. Are these supported at all or will I have to try and find discontinued stock of the EM24 at an inflated price?

Could I use this on instead for instance? https://04646a9cf351cc0d3888-b8b406d15fe93f790abb5bf0e9ab7ab3.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/downloads/product/rayleigh_ri-d70-ds_datasheet_5acf352330a5cc0e26af47af1e9758b9.pdf?1646226166

Thanks

Jamie

ESSEnergy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
fox1980 avatar image
fox1980 answered ·

https://owen-brothers.co.uk/ob115mod-single-phase-ct-multifunction-meter.html

Hi Jamie, I found this meter. Does anyone know if this meter would work as a ct alternative to CG direct connected, it uses the Modbus RTU protocol? I believe it is available as 3 phase also.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Sorry, bit it really is only the Carlo Gavazzi meters listed in the documentation which are officially supported.
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:start#support_for_other_carlo_gavazzi_meters

Other brands may work but you'd be on your own to get them going. One or two people have done it, see the modifications section.

2 |3000

fox1980 avatar image
fox1980 answered ·

What I can't understand is why there are no CT connected meters available that are compatible with Victron (the only one I have seen is extremely difficult to find anywhere), I do not like the idea of altering the meter tails unnecessarily. I did think of using the CT with my MPII but they seem to suffer with interference over longer runs. I am keen to hear if anyone has had sucess with a third party meter.

2 |3000

Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

The new grid meter is the EM530 .

For us in Aruba we can use the EM530 DINAV53XS1X , this is 120 VLN

This meter can use the CTD2X2005AXX with a hole of 23mm.

I believe in the last Cerbo firmware this is compatible now.

Best regards,

Rob

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

I looked at the Eastron SDM230-Modbus as an alternative to the Carlo Gavazzi EM112 as I had one already and they are cheaper. It does everything you might want but the Modbus interface is quite different so you would have to do a lot of conversion in software.

2 |3000

oebele avatar image
oebele answered ·

Hallo,

Ben je hier al wat wijzer uit geworden? Ik zit met exact hetzelfde probleem. Ik moet ook 100 A trekken. En er zijn toch zeker ook wel grotere systemen welke misschien wel ver over de 100 A draaien. Ik ben zeer benieuwd.

1 comment
2 |3000

oebele avatar image oebele commented ·

Deze is geschikt voor 100A. Gisteren maar even gebeld met onze adviseur.

111.png

0 Likes 0 ·
111.png (113.1 KiB)
Juha Tuomala avatar image
Juha Tuomala answered ·

Ideally you would use the local offical grid meter via Modbus TCP or RS-485. Majority of modern meters can be read over DLMS and there are DLMS-Modus gateways. DLMS is apparently some sort of standardized protocol, but still the gateway and meter has to be integrated to each other. Once that is working, my guess is that VenusOS does not understand or recognize the gateway.

There are not that many gateway manufacturers and the ones that exist, have run out of stock of items that are useful.

Many meters also have an optical lens where it can be read continously, there are suction cup sensors with USB-interface for that purpose. These are good for same premises connection, but if the meter resides at the property border, distance is probably a problem. Again integration is probably another problem.

Those official grid meters should be quite accurate and gateway cheap, so this could be a good solution. Also using the same meter as invoices are based on, should in theory remove arquing the invoiced values even they're wrong :)

Lastly, electric company could provide internet REST API for the same information, but those appear to be quite slow elefants in this kind of progress so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting that to happen.

Br,

Juha

2 |3000