question

thesee avatar image
thesee asked

Why don't my two charge controllers go into float at the same time?

I have added a smart battery sense. I have two solar charge controllers that are both seeing the voltage and temp, but one always goes into absorption and float before the other. I thought they were both supposed to work together?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Thesee

Synchronized charging as part of a smart network?

There are some limitations. Just check none of your equipment is on the list in the manual.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thesee avatar image
thesee answered ·

Yes I did check the equipment and numbers. One unit is quite old but not on the list and they are both linked through the blue tooth dongle. I do also have a BMV700. It seems better if I remove that from the network.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Thesee

I will be interested in hearing if that makes a difference or not.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi

What type of MPPTs do you have? Are they SmartSolars or do you have the external VE.Direct dongle? When they are connected via an en External VE.Direct dongle they will use the shared voltage and temperature from the BMV, but they will not do synchronized charging.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

greendovefarms avatar image
greendovefarms answered ·

Are your string voltages the same ?

I have a system installed for one of my customers where upon getting to full charge the string with the lower PV voltage will take control of charging and the string with the higher voltage will reduce to standby

2 |3000