question

klf93 avatar image
klf93 asked

Orion 12|12-30 not charging

I have just installed an Orion 12|12-30 into my 2012 sprinter van. I’m running 3 206Ah LiFePo4 batteries (eventually plan on getting a second alternator). I am not getting a current output while driving which I believe should be around 30A. I’ve adjusted my settings but still seem to be having issues. Start voltage: 14, delayed start voltage: 13.8, delayed start voltage delay: 120s, shutdown voltage: 13.5 input voltage lockout: 12.5V / 12.8V

orion-tr smartalternatorHelp
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Please make some screenshots of the app while the engine is running. You should be able to see why it is not charging.
0 Likes 0 ·
klf93 avatar image klf93 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

engine running here

0 Likes 0 ·

And here

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

So the Orion is active and wants to charge (it is at 14.6V at the output) but it looks like there is a connection problem between the Orion and the battery.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klf93 avatar image klf93 commented ·
Is there something in the settings that may be causing this? I’m using a new 60A midi fuse and 6 gauge wire from starter battery to the Orion.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ klf93 commented ·
At the moment it doesn't look like a software problem.

The Orion wants to charge but the energy is not going into the battery. You need to get a multi meter and measure the voltage at each wire connection from the battery to the Orion.

0 Likes 0 ·

2e6bac32-3e3f-4491-9277-afcfae4f3ae4.jpeg

Disconnected the input cables from the starter battery and I’m getting 12.99V

0 Likes 0 ·
Where do you measure that voltage?

The Problem is on the output side of the Orion, not at the input.
What voltage do you measure at the output terminals of the Orion with and without the engine running?
Without the engine running you should measure the voltage of the lithium batteries and with the engine running you should measure the charging voltage of the Orion (the same as shown in the app).
Maybe make some pictures of your wiring.

0 Likes 0 ·

wiring set up

0 Likes 0 ·
image.jpg (3.3 MiB)

multimeter is showing just .08V from the lynx distributor to the Orion. Wondering if the fuse may be bad. Upon looking at it, there seems to be a missing bolt.

0 Likes 0 ·
image.jpg (3.1 MiB)
Yes the fuse looks strange, could be broken.

Try to change the fuse.

0 Likes 0 ·
I’ll try that. Thanks for the help!
0 Likes 0 ·
corbijn avatar image corbijn klf93 commented ·
Hi there, just wondering how you went. I have the exact same problem :(
-1 Like -1 ·
Steve avatar image
Steve answered ·

Hi did this issue get resolved. I've got the same problem. Both Orion's output charge not going to batteries, fuses in distributor are fine. BMV shows no input current..

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
There's not enough information from you to say more then how to troubleshoot.

Could be settings in the Orions stopping them from turning charging on. Screen shots as above and screen shots of battery settings, engine detect needed.

Could be wiring/fuse - check continuity and for voltage drop. Also do Orions and battery have common earth.

0 Likes 0 ·