question

alex-2 avatar image
alex-2 asked

Dc generator to charge lithium

Hi

I have a bank of 4 x 100Ah smart lithium, Cerbo, Multiplus, Orion dc-dc 12-12 30 charger between my start battery and lithiums. This works great when engine runs.

I have a 4Kw Fischer Panda DC generator which was linked direct to the original lead batteries. Would this work if I ran it through the starter battery and Orion - the same as the alternator?

Many thanks

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It's way oversized for the Orion, so will be very inefficient. Hopefully the voltage is well controlled under light loads.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alex-2 avatar image alex-2 commented ·
What would you suggest?

The generator came with the boat and I’m moving everything over to Victron. It would be a shame to not have the option of using the generator of I need it, ie cloudy days when I can’t get enough solar.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ alex-2 commented ·
If the generator voltage and power are within the parameters for the lithium setup, go direct to the BMS after checking cable sizes.

But hopefully someone who knows these generators will offer a better answer.

0 Likes 0 ·